1v Circulation pump and temp probe options

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blekk

Reaction score
Hi all

Just in the process of collecting bits for my new 1v vessel and would like some advice on the circulation pump and temp probe location. Not going to be a huge system, 65L max volume but more likely to only run single batches with the option for doubles if needed/wanted. Just wondering if the keg king mkii pumps would be ok or should I go a hot water pump like this for pumping 1-1.5m head? http://www.cooltechpumps.com.au/pum...ainless-steel-pump-body-automanual-operation/
Also is there much difference between the keg king and kegland pumps if I go that route?

With the temp probe, its going to a pid so was wondering where the best location would be? I have read that 1v should be around the heat source as not to scorch, but being a recirc system should I put it at the recirc outlet?

Cheers

Hi all

Just in the process of collecting bits for my new 1v vessel and would like some advice on the circulation pump and temp probe location. Not going to be a huge system, 65L max volume but more likely to only run single batches with the option for doubles if needed/wanted. Just wondering if the keg king mkii pumps would be ok or should I go a hot water pump like this for pumping 1-1.5m head? http://www.cooltechpumps.com.au/pum...ainless-steel-pump-body-automanual-operation/
Also is there much difference between the keg king and kegland pumps if I go that route?

With the temp probe, its going to a pid so was wondering where the best location would be? I have read that 1v should be around the heat source as not to scorch, but being a recirc system should I put it at the recirc outlet?

Cheers
I would be going with what you read, seems like sound advice for the probe. That must be a tall vessel the Brau Wolf I have used is a 60 litre and about 0,800 ml and the little Kaixin pump, which is the same one in the Robobrew, Brewzilla, Guten etc is enough for the re- circulation about $25 I think.

I would be going with what you read, seems like sound advice for the probe. That must be a tall vessel the Brau Wolf I have used is a 60 litre and about 0,800 ml and the little Kaixin pump, which is the same one in the Robobrew, Brewzilla, Guten etc is enough for the re- circulation about $25 I think.
Thanks Reg for the quick reply. The tub isn't too tall at 400mm, but the pump will sit below that and I was also looking at being able to use it for transferring to the fermentor.

I'd be wary of that pump, it looks like a knockoff of the classic Grundfos. They have the impeller attached to the armature (or rotator if you prefer) the armature floats in a stainless sleeve running through the middle of the motor.
Problem is that over time gunk builds up on the inside of the sleeve and on the rotator.
Eventually it chokes and smokes.

You might be better off looking at one of the small mag drive pumps that a lot of sponsors offer.
Mark

I am happy with the flow of the keg king pump I run on my 1V system,i split the pump discharge to flow into the mash basket and to the urn element with a valve to balance the flow.I have
mounted my stainless RTD probe on a stainless T piece on the line running to the mash right at the top of the vessel to eliminate any temperature drop over the line.I don't get any pressure
drop from my pump that significantly reduces flow to the mash,i always check mash temp with a probe to cross check PID reading.

I am happy with the flow of the keg king pump I run on my 1V system,i split the pump discharge to flow into the mash basket and to the urn element with a valve to balance the flow.I have
mounted my stainless RTD probe on a stainless T piece on the line running to the mash right at the top of the vessel to eliminate any temperature drop over the line.I don't get any pressure
drop from my pump that significantly reduces flow to the mash,i always check mash temp with a probe to cross check PID reading.
Thanks HD thats the knid of feedback I was looking for. Do you recirc during boil in your 1V?

Gday Blekk,I don't circulate through the pump when boiling but if I have a high rye grain bill 10-20% I will.I usually do this because it minimizes the
scorching of the element which also reduces its efficiency to boil quickly,usually done as boil temp is rising from 65-100deg and hot break is forming.

Latest posts

Back