1st time home brewer- couple quesitons

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mongey said:
So got my 1st batch bottled on saturday . all went well I think apart from a smashed hydrometer .bloody plug fell out the end of the tube putitng it back in.

now just need to let it sit and see if its drinkable in a couple weeks.I did moslty longies but a did a couple stubbies as testers. may crack a test bottle this weekend just to see

already cleaned up the carboy and put a new wort kit on yestedray

thanks everyone for the tips. helped allot
I've smashed a hydrometer exactly the same way. and I had JUST bought it. D'oh!

The way I manage fermentation - I do a hydro reading just before the yeast is first pitched. I take a quick squizz at the fermenter about two days later just to make sure some activity is happening.

Then I leave it for two weeks. Do a quick hydro reading to make sure the FG is where it should be, have a taste then I bottle. Hasn't failed me yet. As long as the yeast you pitch is healthy and plentiful enough, the temps are right and the wort is aerated, proper fermentation is pretty much guaranteed. I find doing too many hydro checks during fermentation a- wastes beer and b- possibly can suck outside air into the fermenter as you drain the liquid, which is bad.

I's always found only two weeks in the bottle is just not enough time. I always try to give it 4 weeks before I crack one open. Even the difference that 3 weeks versus 2 weeks makes is pretty big. Drinking a 2 week old beer is wasting it as its not at its best yet.

Latest posts

Back