1st Pilsner Please Comment On Recipe!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KHB

All Grain All The Time
Reaction score
Havnt brewed one of these before so am chasing some feedback on the recipe.

Cheers

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Bohemian Pilsner
Brewer:
Asst Brewer:
Style: Bohemian Pilsner
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 25.00 L
Boil Size: 31.25 L
Estimated OG: 1.051 SG
Estimated Color: 10.8 EBC
Estimated IBU: 35.9 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 80.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
4.90 kg Pilsner, Malt Craft Export (Joe White) (3.Grain 94.84 %
0.17 kg Crystal Malt - 60L (Thomas Fawcett) (118.2Grain 3.36 %
0.06 kg Munich 1, Light (Joe White) (17.7 EBC) Grain 1.12 %
0.03 kg Melanoidin (Weyermann) (59.1 EBC) Grain 0.67 %
60.00 gm Saaz [4.00 %] (60 min) Hops 23.9 IBU
26.00 gm Saaz [4.00 %] (15 min) Hops 5.1 IBU
37.00 gm Saaz [4.00 %] (10 min) Hops 5.4 IBU
18.00 gm Saaz [4.00 %] (5 min) Hops 1.4 IBU
37.00 gm Saaz [4.00 %] (0 min) Hops -
0.50 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 5.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs Bohemian Lager (Wyeast Labs #2124) Yeast-Lager

Mash Schedule: Temperature Mash, 2 Step, Full Body
Total Grain Weight: 5.16 kg
----------------------------
Temperature Mash, 2 Step, Full Body
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
25 min Protein Rest Add 15.49 L of water at 54.0 C 50.0 C
90 min Saccharification Heat to 65.0 C over 15 min 65.0 C
10 min Mash Out Heat to 75.6 C over 10 min 75.6 C

Notes:
------
Mashing 1 degree lower to cover crystal

Id be going either 100% pils. Maybe with a touch of melanoidin. Or a touch or carapils. Other than that it looks ok.

I'd not be adding the crystal - personally I don't think it's to style.
60g of munich will do bugger all - you can up the munich if you want a bit of toasty melanoidins, but I'd stick with just the pilsner and a little melanoidin.
30g of melanoidin also won't add much. Maybe 1-2% if you want to add it, but you could get away with just the pilsner malt.
As under said, carapils wouldn't be a bad option either, but not required.
Bitterness and hop selection look good.
What's your water like?

I'd not be adding the crystal - personally I don't think it's to style.
60g of munich will do bugger all - you can up the munich if you want a bit of toasty melanoidins, but I'd stick with just the pilsner and a little melanoidin.
30g of melanoidin also won't add much. Maybe 1-2% if you want to add it, but you could get away with just the pilsner malt.
As under said, carapils wouldn't be a bad option either, but not required.
Bitterness and hop selection look good.
What's your water like?

Good old Nuriootpa water, wouldnt have a clue lol

Updated recipe.

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Bohemian Pilsner
Brewer:
Asst Brewer:
Style: Bohemian Pilsner
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 25.00 L
Boil Size: 31.25 L
Estimated OG: 1.050 SG
Estimated Color: 7.2 EBC
Estimated IBU: 36.6 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 80.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
4.90 kg Pilsner, Malt Craft Export (Joe White) (3.Grain 98.00 %
0.05 kg Melanoidin (Weyermann) (59.1 EBC) Grain 2.00 %
55.00 gm Saaz [4.40 %] (60 min) Hops 24.4 IBU
24.00 gm Saaz [4.40 %] (15 min) Hops 5.3 IBU
34.00 gm Saaz [4.40 %] (10 min) Hops 5.5 IBU
16.00 gm Saaz [4.40 %] (5 min) Hops 1.4 IBU
37.00 gm Saaz [4.40 %] (0 min) Hops -
0.50 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 5.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs Bohemian Lager (Wyeast Labs #2124) Yeast-Lager

Mash Schedule: Temperature Mash, 2 Step, Full Body
Total Grain Weight: 5.00 kg
----------------------------
Temperature Mash, 2 Step, Full Body
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
25 min Protein Rest Add 14.99 L of water at 54.0 C 50.0 C
90 min Saccharification Heat to 66.0 C over 15 min 66.0 C
10 min Mash Out Heat to 75.6 C over 10 min 75.6 C

With the well modified Australian Pilsener Malt I'd just go a single infusion mash.

100% pils malt is all you need mate.

If you can get your hands on some clean rainwater all the better.

Have got a rain water tank not sure how clean the water is though.

How would most people ferment this??

JW Pils is bloody great. Go 100% and see how it goes.

Very sorry to be asking such an easy question, but can you explain the mash procedure.

Is it just a matter of doing an initial 15 liters of water with the grain at 54deg, letting it rest for 90minutes then over the course of 15 minutes, bringing that temperature up to 66deg, then waiting 10 minutes, then getting it up to 76degrees in 10 minutes?if so, when do you sparge? <_<

I'm relatively new to this (3 brews), so I'm used to just mashing in at 66 degrees, letting it soak for 60-90 minutes and then sparging....

Nope.

1. Add 15L of 54C water to grain, and it should settle at 50C. Leave for 25 minutes.
2. Over 15 minutes, ramp the temp up from 50C to 66C. Leave for 90 minutes.
3. Over 10 minutes, ramp the temp up from 66C to 75.6C. Leave for 10 minutes.

If you're doing an infusion mash in an esky (which you are), ramping the temperature by applying heat isn't an option unless you have an immersion element. Instead you'd add boiling (or close to boiling) water to bring the temperature up. Beersmith will do the calcs for you, regarding how much water and what temperature. So instead of ramping the temperature over 10 or 15 minutes, you'd be going from 50C to 66C over like 1-2 minutes, as the boiling water infused. This isn't bad, just slightly different. It will achieve the same results.

50C is the protein rest. [From Palmer...]
Moderately-modified malts benefit from a protein rest to break down any remnant large proteins into smaller proteins and amino acids as well as to further release the starches from the endosperm. Fully-modified malts have already made use of these enzymes and do not benefit from more time spent in the protein rest regime. In fact, using a protein rest on fully modified malts tends to remove most of the body of a beer, leaving it thin and watery. Most base malt in use in the world today is fully modified. Less modified malts are often available from German maltsters. Brewers have reported fuller, maltier flavors from malts that are less modified and make use of this rest.

66C is the saccharification rest, where the enzymes act on the starches and break them up into fermentable and non-fermentable sugars.

76C is the mash out, that halts conversion of the starches to sugars

How would most people ferment this??

Make yourself a nice big active starter 2-3L minimum... pitch it at 10C keep there and forget for at least 3 weeks.

Optional: Take a sample to taste for diacetyl... if needs be raise to 18C for 24hrs still on primary to let the yeasties clean up a bit.

Or skip the diacetyl rest and just rack to lager cube/keg (minimise headspace) and lager for minimum 4 weeks as cold as you can go without freezing. Some people find a 10 day lager ok... but for me i like to take my time.

Bottle/Keg and enjoy... best of luck... Pilsner's probably my favourite style.

Also 98% Pilsner and 2% Melanoiden is lubberly.

Have changed to 100% pilsner malt, will be making this monday, cant wait!

Make yourself a nice big active starter 2-3L minimum... pitch it at 10C keep there and forget for at least 3 weeks.

Optional: Take a sample to taste for diacetyl... if needs be raise to 18C for 24hrs still on primary to let the yeasties clean up a bit.

Or skip the diacetyl rest and just rack to lager cube/keg (minimise headspace) and lager for minimum 4 weeks as cold as you can go without freezing. Some people find a 10 day lager ok... but for me i like to take my time.

Bottle/Keg and enjoy... best of luck... Pilsner's probably my favourite style.

Also 98% Pilsner and 2% Melanoiden is lubberly.

Do u pitch the starter aswell? Have been letting it drop out and only pitching yeast lately.

Do u pitch the starter aswell? Have been letting it drop out and only pitching yeast lately.

Actually in the past i've always decanted the chilled starter pithcing only the slurry.. not really a "starter" just a fair whack of yeast.

recently after talking to some more experienced brewers than I... i tried this method the other night pitching a lager yeast "starter"

..make starter, cool, aerate, add yeast, wait until active fermentation is observed before pitching whole batch of starter.

Active fermentation (krausen is not always evident, use a light source, look through the side wall of the starter vessel, should see lots of Co2 bubbles rising up through the wort)

The batch kicked off quickly... not sure how quick but pitched it Tuesday night last thing and first thing Wednesday it was firing. Essentially i was pitching yeast at the peak of activity.

Finished with 20lt at 1046!

Just waiting for temp to finish dropping then will pitch the yeast.

Cheers

Back