1st Extract Weizen + Bits .

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Windy Hill

Reaction score
G'day to all ,

I'm looking to brew a weizenbier at some stage soon with early spring daytime temps ( in the shed ) at 15* > 22* . Seems ideal with temp control overnights . So after heaps of research through this site & with the use of ianh's brilliant designer have come up with this recipe .

1.5kg Coopers Liquid Wheat Malt
1.3kgs Dry Wheat Malt
200g Weyermann Pale Wheat
200g Carahell
20g Tettnanger @ 60 mins
20g Hersbrucker @ 15 mins
350g Dextrose
WB-06 dry yeast .

Est OG = 1.050
Est FG = 1.014
Est Alc% = 5.7% bottled.

Planning a 6L boil/simmer with around 600g DWMalt for 60 mins . Hops in , as above . Would've perhaps gone with 2 tins LWME but settled on some dry just for ease of handling as far as the boil is concerned .
Tended not to find alot of grains that jumped out at me so settled on Pale Wheat & Carahell , equal parts . Found a bit more of a choice with the hops but happy to settle on Tett & Hersbrucker . Dex choice measured just to tighten up the desired result . WB-06 , for now . Still have a bit of reading to do re: using liquid yeasts . Am aware of the benfits of liquid yeasts but need to build up a bit of more knowledge yet to have a crack . Looking to maintain temp on the cooler side , will more than likely avge around 20*C. Not overly fussed aboubt cloves/bananas,quite keen on either.

So that's about it . Still learning , never stop learning , but please , if you've got any tweeks or advice from your own experience , let it rip .

Thanks & Cheers for now .

Windy Hill .

G'day to all ,

I'm looking to brew a weizenbier at some stage soon with early spring daytime temps ( in the shed ) at 15* > 22* . Seems ideal with temp control overnights . So after heaps of research through this site & with the use of ianh's brilliant designer have come up with this recipe .

1.5kg Coopers Liquid Wheat Malt
1.3kgs Dry Wheat Malt
200g Weyermann Pale Wheat
200g Carahell
20g Tettnanger @ 60 mins
20g Hersbrucker @ 15 mins
350g Dextrose
WB-06 dry yeast .

Est OG = 1.050
Est FG = 1.014
Est Alc% = 5.7% bottled.

Planning a 6L boil/simmer with around 600g DWMalt for 60 mins . Hops in , as above . Would've perhaps gone with 2 tins LWME but settled on some dry just for ease of handling as far as the boil is concerned .
Tended not to find alot of grains that jumped out at me so settled on Pale Wheat & Carahell , equal parts . Found a bit more of a choice with the hops but happy to settle on Tett & Hersbrucker . Dex choice measured just to tighten up the desired result . WB-06 , for now . Still have a bit of reading to do re: using liquid yeasts . Am aware of the benfits of liquid yeasts but need to build up a bit of more knowledge yet to have a crack . Looking to maintain temp on the cooler side , will more than likely avge around 20*C. Not overly fussed aboubt cloves/bananas,quite keen on either.

So that's about it . Still learning , never stop learning , but please , if you've got any tweeks or advice from your own experience , let it rip .

Thanks & Cheers for now .

Windy Hill .

Have I posted this post in the right forum ? Just a bit odd not to get an opinion . I'd be doubting the recipe is near perfect but the silence is deafening . Hello ?

Wey wheat definitely needs mashing. I'd drop it unless you can hold the temp for 60 minutes at about 65 degrees in which case increase the amount and do a partial (at least 1 kilo of the wheat and maybe another kilo of pils malt and then drop out some of the extract).

Hersbrucker and tett are great hops to use for a weizen. Generally wheats are single bittered, low IBU but there are some hoppier varieties and ultimately it comes down to what you enjoy drinking. The late addition may be superfluous if you want a hefe like shcofferhoffer or weistephaner. Personally I'd use the tett as the flavour and hers as the bitter but only because I love tett so much.

I would recommend 3068 but you've expressed why you're hesitant with liquids at this point and that's fair enough. Give the dry a go and see how it turns out.

The reason you've not had loads of responses is possibly because the recipe looks well thought out and OK.

Wey wheat definitely needs mashing. I'd drop it unless you can hold the temp for 60 minutes at about 65 degrees in which case increase the amount and do a partial (at least 1 kilo of the wheat and maybe another kilo of pils malt and then drop out some of the extract).

Hersbrucker and tett are great hops to use for a weizen. Generally wheats are single bittered, low IBU but there are some hoppier varieties and ultimately it comes down to what you enjoy drinking. The late addition may be superfluous if you want a hefe like shcofferhoffer or weistephaner. Personally I'd use the tett as the flavour and hers as the bitter but only because I love tett so much.

I would recommend 3068 but you've expressed why you're hesitant with liquids at this point and that's fair enough. Give the dry a go and see how it turns out.

The reason you've not had loads of responses is possibly because the recipe looks well thought out and OK.

Many Thanks to you Manticle ,

Not right with Mashing at the moment . Have gas 3 wok burner , stock pots , glass thermometer but i'm guessing that's not quite what "mashing" may be . Unless i've mashed before without knowing i was mashing . Couple of brews ago i was steeping on the gas , maintaining temp @ 65-70* for around 30 mins. Is that mashing or 1/2 mashing ?

Of all of the true weizens probably available i've only sampled but one , that is , Weihenstephaner , darker Dunkel variety & it's stuck with me . Of course at the moment i'm putting together a lighter weizen but do have a decent looking darker recipe to work on soon , Unkel Dunkel from the Recipe DB .

Shall have another look at the Hops , can always tweek things there . Have just had a quick look at descriptions in ianh's data base and noted that Tett are described as " slightly spicy " . Spicy is fine by me as one of my fave's Coopers Sparklers come across that way .

Yeah will stick with WB-06 til i get my mind around liquid yeasts , seems like another topic all together .

Thanks again for your help , it's a confidence thing while trying to get a decent hold on the craft + i beleive in learning something new every day .

Saints by 26 points in the GF . Go Sainters .

Not right with Mashing at the moment . Have gas 3 wok burner , stock pots , glass thermometer but i'm guessing that's not quite what "mashing" may be . Unless i've mashed before without knowing i was mashing . Couple of brews ago i was steeping on the gas , maintaining temp @ 65-70* for around 30 mins. Is that mashing or 1/2 mashing ?

Of all of the true weizens probably available i've only sampled but one , that is , Weihenstephaner , darker Dunkel variety & it's stuck with me . Of course at the moment i'm putting together a lighter weizen but do have a decent looking darker recipe to work on soon , Unkel Dunkel from the Recipe DB .

Shall have another look at the Hops , can always tweek things there . Have just had a quick look at descriptions in ianh's data base and noted that Tett are described as " slightly spicy " . Spicy is fine by me as one of my fave's Coopers Sparklers come across that way .

Yeah will stick with WB-06 til i get my mind around liquid yeasts , seems like another topic all together .

Thanks again for your help , it's a confidence thing while trying to get a decent hold on the craft + i beleive in learning something new every day .

Mate, if you are holding cracked grains at a temp between 60 and 70 degrees, then you are indeed mashing. The carahell is a light crystal and goes beautifully in a weizen...
I personally like a single bittering addition of Tett @ 15 ibus in a weizen and let the yeast take the reins.

The WB06 is a good dry weizen yeast, however the 3068 is sensational. Go on, get a smack pack, you know you want to... :icon_cheers:
Cheers, John.

If you are holding base malt at that temp you are mashing (converting starch to sugar). If you are holding specialty malt at that temp you are steeping but at mashing temps. Similar process for you, different process inside the grain. You can steep at different temperatures with similar results. Mashing however requires a narrow range.

Tett for me comes up with a nice subtle citrus flavour - not full on like some american c-hops, just subtle orange and mandarin flavours. I personally love it.

There's no need to avoid using the liquid yeasts like 3068. You can use it exactly like the WB06 - simply cut the pack open and pour it in.

What you will have done by making a WB06 brew first is cemented 3068 (when you do use it) as the "real" hefeweizen yeast. WB06 produces a hefeweizen, 3068 produces Weihenstephaner hefe - almost exactly.

If it's the cost of the liquids that's an issue, bottle some of the trub when you finish bottling your brew and use this the next time. Super easy. Refine your liquid yeast processes in the future, but use them like dry yeasts now FTW.

Mate, if you are holding cracked grains at a temp between 60 and 70 degrees, then you are indeed mashing. The carahell is a light crystal and goes beautifully in a weizen...
I personally like a single bittering addition of Tett @ 15 ibus in a weizen and let the yeast take the reins.

The WB06 is a good dry weizen yeast, however the 3068 is sensational. Go on, get a smack pack, you know you want to... :icon_cheers:
Cheers, John.

Thanks John , you talked me into it , won't learn anything by not getting hold of one . Shall go the 3068 .

Cheers , Brendan .

Latest posts

Back