1st Coopers Porter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrtona

Reaction score
Hi
I mixed a brew of Coopers porter on Saturday (my first porter and my 3rd brew), it was sitting at 24C when I put it in the cupboard.
I then went away for 2 nights and on my return it was at 21C but not bubbling.
Since then it's been sitting on 20C but still no bubbling.
I've been given a heat pad.
Is this temp Ok or should I use the heat pad to bring the temp up a bit?
Thanks
Tony

Temperature is fine

Do not rely on the airlock as an indicator of fermentation happening, pressure loss is common but generally not an issue

Look at the wort for krausen (foam) and take hydrometer samples to confirm gravity drop if unsure

Cheers

You'll find that 20C is within the optimum temp range for a lot of ale yeasts

For occasions when you do need to heat it up such as in winter, consider getting a heat belt and insulating the fermenter, say in a big cardboard box or a spare (turned off) fridge.
A heat pad applies heat to the bottom of the fermenter where your dead yeast and other unwanted 'trub' will accumulate, which can produce off flavours in your final beer.

The next step in temp control is to get a temperature controller such as the STC-1000 (search the forums for more info) to keep your beer within a certain temperature range. They're accurate to 1degC depending on where you place the temperature probe, but it allows you to set your temp, plug in the heating belt thru the controller and forget about it.

Latest posts

Back