1st Brew On Braumeister - Pics

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Think I am going to cut down to mash in/mash/mash out too unless I brew a style that really needs all the rests

Yeah you really need to know what you are wanting to achieve from 5 steps. Most "modern modified malts" don't require... yada yada yada. So it may be pointless doing five steps. But I figure it can't hurt so do them anyway, since I can. I have been tweaking the values but to be honest need to do a lot more research.

Yeah I have been doing them just because thats how it was really. Only things I changed were the default temps

Still working out this system so going to see how a simple schedule goes next

I have only done about 6 brews on my 20L BM and all were pretty basic single infusion. Have read the following schedule on the massive BM thread at homebrew talk and was planning to give this a crack on the next few for comparison:

Protein rest 15 min @52C
Beta amylase rest 35 min @ 63C
Alpha amylase rest 35 min @ 70C
Mash out 15 min @ 78C

As long as I can end up with a corny keg FULL at the end I dont care.
Volumes might be a problem with the 20l but I suspect that eff. is our saviour.
Also has anyone looked at putting a more powerfull pump on these 20l modles, like a March pump?
Also I just jumped on Beersmith and I scaled down my last APA. It would appear that working on 85% efficiency (if thats possible) I should still be able to hit 1.056 with 5kg's of grain (if thats the max it can handle. Does this sound right?
Also what are your numbers for the equipment in Beersmith? I have 85% eff, 24 litres final volume, (I should get 21 litre in the fermenter from that), 10% loss to the boil, and pre boil volume was about 27.5 litres.
How does all dat sound?

Steve

As long as I can end up with a corny keg FULL at the end I dont care.
Volumes might be a problem with the 20l but I suspect that eff. is our saviour.
Also has anyone looked at putting a more powerfull pump on these 20l modles, like a March pump?
Also I just jumped on Beersmith and I scaled down my last APA. It would appear that working on 85% efficiency (if thats possible) I should still be able to hit 1.056 with 5kg's of grain (if thats the max it can handle. Does this sound right?
Also what are your numbers for the equipment in Beersmith? I have 85% eff, 24 litres final volume, (I should get 21 litre in the fermenter from that), 10% loss to the boil, and pre boil volume was about 27.5 litres.
How does all dat sound?
Steve

I really don't think you would want to change the pump. It may not be a high volume pump but I reckon it does the job sufficiently. The 50L BM has 2 of them but they (I believe) are just the same pump as the 20L. THey are very easy to pull apart by hand, no tools needed. Those German Engineers really know their stuff.

As for an efficiency of 85% - I don't reckon you would get that without a sparge. 80% no sparge maybe, above that you'd need to sparge to grab some residual sugar from the grain. The crush will affect this too. Too fine and eff % will go down. You may get more than 10% loss to the boil because cooling loss sneaks up on you too. I use a 50L BM so can't give you specifics for the 20L BM.

Safer to sparge too much rather than not enough. You can always boil longer to reduce volume to increase the SG but if you haven't sparged you may miss those sugars.

All sounds good. I thing for me the 20l will be perfect. I have seen every YouTube video on the BM so I feel like a pro and I have not even got mine yet.
I wonder why they went from the material filter to a mesh screen?
I am now plotting how to restrict the flow while sparging for a more complete/slower sparge.
This is just me trying to improve on near perfection.
I listened to the Basic Brewing podcast by some bloke called Jan, he won brewer of the year in Norway using a 20l BM. Very interesting.

All sounds good. I thing for me the 20l will be perfect. I have seen every YouTube video on the BM so I feel like a pro and I have not even got mine yet.
I am now plotting how to restrict the flow while sparging for a more complete/slower sparge.
I listened to the Basic Brewing podcast by some bloke called Jan, he won brewer of the year in Norway using a 20l BM. Very interesting.
If you listen to that pod cast the guy talks about how he sparges. He removes the malt pipe screen on top and mixes the grain where the hole was left from the rod in the centre and then he puts the mesh screen back on with perforated screen as well then he sparges. I do this method and I get 84% efficiency every time. As long as I dont go over about 11.4 kg of grain my efficiency stay's at 84%. I would probably stop and stir the mash 3 times during a cycle if I have more than 11kg of grain.

I think some folks had issues with the cloth filters moving a bit on the edges. MHB modified them by attaching a drawstring around them. Perhaps this sort of thing is why they went to the mesh screen?
The sparge isn't super quick anyway - as you would have seen you sit the malt tube up on the bow hook and just tip some water on top with the top filter screen still in place and it helps to spread the sparge water more 'evenly'. It can take 20mins or so for the liquid to stop dripping down. You can always throw a bit in, let it drain and throw a bit more in.
MHB and others have also fashioned a simple pickup tube...

Yeah I left both top screens on when I sparged the other day and it went a lot slower

Can't wait for this bad boy to turn up. I am all pumped about brewing again. After a couple hundered brews on the old system I was loosing my buz to brew.
This could be just what the Doc :) ordered

Steve

I'm looking at ordering the 50l BM and have a couple of questions. I mostly brew higher gravity beers (1.060 - 1.110) with a batch size of 15-18 litres which is at the top of what my current cooler-mashtun system can do. I would like to be able to brew about 25 litre batches, so the 20l BM is obviously out of the question. Is there any limitation on how small batches you can brew with the 50l and what is the point with the 20l maltpipe? Can't you just brew smaller beers in the 50l pipe?

I'm looking at ordering the 50l BM and have a couple of questions. I mostly brew higher gravity beers (1.060 - 1.110) with a batch size of 15-18 litres which is at the top of what my current cooler-mashtun system can do. I would like to be able to brew about 25 litre batches, so the 20l BM is obviously out of the question. Is there any limitation on how small batches you can brew with the 50l and what is the point with the 20l maltpipe? Can't you just brew smaller beers in the 50l pipe?

I'm pretty sure the lowest you can brew on the 50L is 20L. You need to change the malt pipe over to a smaller one.

Have a look here.

SJW you wont look back just done my 19th brew on my 20l,i love it!! im getting around 1050-1060 with 5.5kgs of grain.I normally take my top filter off give the grain a stir and sparge with a little watering can,sparge twice stirring the grain each time.
Then remove the malt pipe place it in a bucket and sparge again and use this wort too top up the BM during the boil
Mate MHB is the man if you got any questions.
:beer: glenn

SJW you wont look back just done my 19th brew on my 20l,i love it!! im getting around 1050-1060 with 5.5kgs of grain.I normally take my top filter off give the grain a stir and sparge with a little watering can,sparge twice stirring the grain each time.
Then remove the malt pipe place it in a bucket and sparge again and use this wort too top up the BM during the boil
Mate MHB is the man if you got any questions.
:beer: glenn
Thanks mate, I did my second brew on the weekend, Pilsner Urquell, multi step. Even with me overloading the circuit with the BM heating element on and boiling a jug for the sparge, it was very simple just to switch to manuel mode for the boil.
I hit 80% Eff. this time too.
I love it.

If you have a power interrupt the Braumeister doesnt forget where its up to, there will be two options displayed on the screen Continue and Abort, just push the button under continue and it will pick up where it left off.
Mark

Thanks mate. Those Germans thought of everything :)

Thanks mate. Those Germans thought of everything :)

Whenever I'm close by and the Braumeister has a pump break, I still lift the lid and watch as the pump starts and marvel at the clarity of the wort. Braumeisters are not for everybody but a Porsche isn't either. ;)

Batz

Hi Guys - This is my first post so here goes. I have recently purchased a Braumeister 50 plus 20l malt pipe. Earlier in this thread there was a discussion about a Beersmith 2 equipment profile for the Braumeister. Has anyone worked out a profile for the 50l and one using the 20l malt pipe that they would like to share?

Hi Guys - This is my first post so here goes. I have recently purchased a Braumeister 50 plus 20l malt pipe. Earlier in this thread there was a discussion about a Beersmith 2 equipment profile for the Braumeister. Has anyone worked out a profile for the 50l and one using the 20l malt pipe that they would like to share?

:icon_offtopic:

What's your location Coldie?

batz

Latest posts

Back