18 Litres Of Ice.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave70

Le roi est mort..
Reaction score
It was with much anticipation that I entered the garage last night to pull what was to be my first glass of kegged beer. Up until that point things were going swimingly but as I squezed the trigger on the tap I was greeted with a lovley brown beer slurpy.
A quick tap on / shake of the keg confirmed it, the whole lot is semi frozen. Whatever happened to the fridge overnight is a mystery because it was fine yesterday arvo and the thermometer was reading about 5*.

So what do you think? Should I let it thaw and re-gas it or is that pretty much that?

cheers
Dave

Yep - take it out for a while and let it thaw. Might pay to burb the keg every now and again. Then gas it up again.

2nd case of frozen beer in a few days. I'm glad I got the fridgemate controlling the temps of the fridge at around 2C +/- 1

This almost happened to me :eek:

Fermenting an Oktoberfest in a cube, pitched yeast, taped sensor to the cube and set at 10*, came back at lunch time and the beer in my tap line had frozen, luckily not the stuff in the keg tho... Would have probably if I left it all day...

Yes, no problems with freezing a kegged beer.

Just thaw it, or open the keg up, remove the ice, and have an 'eisbock' style beer. :icon_cheers:

mortz

I keep my beer fridge at about -4 deg. I have a freezer thermometer in it and keep a weather eye on it. Have never had a frozen keg. What temp does beer freeze at?

Bob

Depends on the alcohol content and other things such as sugar content, salt content, etc.

I reckon for a 5% beer it'd be around -4 - -5 C

I keep my beer fridge at about -4 deg. I have a freezer thermometer in it and keep a weather eye on it. Have never had a frozen keg. What temp does beer freeze at?

Bob

Damn that's cold. Can you even taste the flavour of beer at that temp?

Best beer I ever drank was one I froze. Allowed it to defrost and it was sensational.

Latest posts

Back