15 grams of yeast.. instead of 11.5..

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Alternatively, pitch dry yeast directly in the fermentation vessel providing the temperature of the wort is above 20C. Progressively sprinkle the dry yeast into the wort ensuring the yeast covers all the surface of wort available in order to avoid clumps. Leave for 30 minutes and then mix the wort e.g. using aeration.

Fuckit...Just throw that shit in there

Isn't every thread just a yeast hydration debate in the making..?

Blues Brothers was an awesome movie. Blues Brothers 2000 not so much. Sometimes one should rest on one's laurels.

I hope Craftbrewer continues to repackage.

Swiss lager and K97 are normally only available in 500g blocks.

Let's put this to bed.. From Fermentis

Hi

Fermentis packages its products only in 11.5g/500g/10 Kg under specific conditions to guaranty optimal results when pitching wort.
The 15g packaging is not our product.
Fermentis makes no guaranty on the contents of the 15g packets labelled as US05, its quality and the packaging conditions.

good work yob! im a person who likes his shit correct. I hate companys that take a product and repack it. And claim it as their own. Sure enough, it mayb from the same company.but i like the orignal packinging to say its straight from the factory and direct to the client! :beerdrink:

From http://www.findlaw.com.au/faqs/1126/what-is-passing-off.aspx

Q: What is passing off?
The tort of passing off applies where there is a representation that a person’s goods or services are those of someone else. To establish passing off, the plaintiff must prove a misrepresentation made by a trader in the course of trade to prospective customers or consumers that is intended to injure the plaintiff's business or goodwill and that caused actual damage to the plaintiff. The misrepresentation can be about the name of the product or the image that is presented by the product. The tort of passing off is not confined to the traditional concepts of trade names and trademarks. It includes such things as slogans and visual images where they have become part of the goodwill or reputation of the product.

The Trade Practices Act creates a statutory tort that can be used in addition to, or in substitution for, the common law tort of passing off. The Act prohibits deceptive or misleading conduct by a corporation. It is only necessary to prove that the conduct occurred in the course of trade and commerce, and that it is misleading or deceptive, or likely to mislead or deceive.

What is the difference between re packing yeast and re packing hops? (From a legal standpoint) Or are we all going to have to buy one of those big hop farm labelled boxes of hops to remain above board?

Do KK (I believe this is what the other linked thread was based on) actually repackage in us05 styled packaging? I'd always thought they used vacuum sealed silver bags with white labels and it was just their website that showed the bigger packets. Can't see why Fermentis would be too concerned about someone buying in bulk and breaking it down for sale. I know I'd prefer mine sealed straight from the manufacturer but I have used KK us05 from time to time.

@ GalBrew, QC I imagine to a large degree.

Hops is a different ball game, you are either adding in a boil or when there is a healthy population of yeast/alcohol already present making ot unlikely to be the cause of contamination.

Didn't see specific retailers named cam, but I'll take your word for it.

Yob, I agree from a QC point of view. You can't guarantee the product complies with its specs once you open the pack. Just more so from a legal/ethical standpoint that some people seem to have quibbles with.

The thread linked in the first few posts shows a pic from KK's website showing a packet of us05 with "15% bigger" labelled on it. I'm assuming it's just a graphic representation but wondering if anyone has actually bought replicated Fermentis packaging? I imagine that would be a no no.

Yob said:
ah, didnt see that, must have been busy pontificating
At 6:30 in the morning? You sick puppy!

Feldon said:
From http://www.findlaw.com.au/faqs/1126/what-is-passing-off.aspx

Q: What is passing off?
The tort of passing off applies where there is a representation that a person’s goods or services are those of someone else.

The Trade Practices Act creates a statutory tort that can be used in addition to...
Only issue with your post is
A) the Trade practices act was repealed in 2011, and
B ) It's not passing off as the repackaged item IS fermentis. Whilst Fermentis may not support the practice of reselling, it isnt illegal...

It also shows that Safale Fermentis isn't that concerned about what is happening here, maybe it isn't a big enough market, otherwise they would have put a stop to the repackaging as they did in the UK.

zeggie said:
Only issue with your post is
A) the Trade practices act was repealed in 2011, and
B ) It's not passing off as the repackaged item IS fermentis. Whilst Fermentis may not support the practice of reselling, it isnt illegal...
A new set of consumer laws were adopted ( Iforget the name now used) incorporating the old Trade Practices Act. So the laws against passing off still stand.

The image I posted in the other linked thread shows a retailer advertising 15g packets of yeast for sale using the images of the Fermentis trademark and packaging.

This is passing off. It is misleading the consumer.

Apart from consumer law, and while the sales team at Fermentis might not care, I'm sure the company's legal people in head office would be very interested in knowing what use is being made of their intellectual property (brand image etc).

EDIT: the new Act is called Competition and Consumer Act 2010

Latest posts

Back