14th Century Bouchet / Burnt Honey Mead

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think I have a few bottles left.
To be honest, I think it will still be spice-city, and not in a good way.

I reckon the recipe was wrong, mis-transcribed, or written down after the fact, etc.

Oh my, the bees really do take an interest in your boiling honey!
I just spent a good half hour out at the BBQ boiling up some honey for a Bochet.
1Kg Bochet Wildflower Honey, 0.5Kg Wildflower Honey, some Orange Zest and water to a Gallon. MJ05 yeast and some Yeast Hulls for Nutrient.
I boiled the honey as slow as I was able for about 30 minutes out on my BBQs wok burner as I'm forbidden to do that sort of stuff inside the house... by the time I had finished, I was surrounded by concerned bees wanting to rescue their hive. The Must is bubbling away merrily now only about a half hour after pitching the yeast dry. It can stay sitting there until It's clear.

Cheers,

Hugh

For anyone wanting to make a bochet, please ensure your pot is 4 times bigger than the volume of honey you are looking to boil and DONT burn your honey.

Slowly cook the honey keeping a low boil, over 20-40 minutes it will darken without burning.
take little amounts out and put a dot on a plate to check their colour and taste.

Burning your honey will make it taste terrible.

I have a toffee apple fermenting at the moment, bush honey, pressed apple juice and half an orange of zest (no pith).
It tastes delicious.

Good luck.

Latest posts

Back