14th Century Bouchet / Burnt Honey Mead

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi all, I've only just brewed my first batch of mead using JAO and was wanting to give this a crack. However, I'm having some trouble converting the figures especially the amount of yeast. Would any one kindly share their converted formula for a 5L demijohn? Also how long do you leave it in the first demijohn before racking?
Sorry for all the noob questions, this is my first post!

Woops, I've got my conversions wrong, looks like I'm making 3.8L and need a bigger pot!

What sort of yeast are you using for your 4-5 L batch? If it's a dry yeast, 1-2 teaspoons should do it.

If it's a wet yeast, up to you how much you pitch; given most brew stores sell yeast in sachets that have enough for the standard 23 L batch, I'm assuming you could just split it into five equal bits, fairly safely - but if you added more it wouldn't do any harm either.

These days I normally err on the side of adding more yeast.

You've pretty much got to let the yeast sort it out for itself though.

I think I'll aim for 4L, and I was thinking I'd go a dry yeast as I've never used wet yeast before. So maybe 1.5 teaspoons? But I'll head into the local brew store and see what they have, I only ordered the spices today so I've got a little time to plan. Still confused on the racking part too, so more research required.

I pitched a whole pack of US05.

This is probably quite an over-pitch, but this gravity ~1.100 is a high-pressure environment for your yeastie boys (tech note: they're all girls apparently).

But a pack must be pretty close to two teaspoons anyway, so TimT is on the money.

All girls, really? Wonder how yeast sex happens.

Mr Wibble what stage is your batch at now? Also I think you're right there, I've heard you're better off having more yeast then not enough. At what point did you rack?

MightyLolz said:
Mr Wibble what stage is your batch at now? Also I think you're right there, I've heard you're better off having more yeast then not enough. At what point did you rack?

I haven't really done anything with it.

I'll try to put it onto the spices this weekend. I figure it has a whole lot of fermenting to do, and last week there was still quote some activity.
I am concerned about the yeast dying off and giving meaty/vegemity flavours (yeast autolysis), but it's going to have to hang in there. The JAO mead does not seem to suffer from 3+ months on the yeast-cake.

cheers,
-kt

So that'll be about the one month mark you're adding spices. But by the sounds of it you're not intending to rack it in to another demijohn? Are you aiming for 3 months on the yeast cake? Because I was wondering how long you let if ferment before racking and adding spices

I don't think it matters when you add spices so much - the important thing is to just wait until the yeast has done the main job and there's no more rapid churning of the wine, or production of gases by the yeast. In the rapidity of the primary fermentation a lot of spicy flavours and fragrances can get lost.

So how do you tell when fermentation is done? Also thanks for all the help guys

Keep an eye on it. The bubbles going through the airlock will slow down significantly, from a pace of about one a second (or more) to more like one a minute.... or an hour.

Also, the mead will clear up significantly, if there's a yeast cloud it will fall away, there'll be a build up of sediment on the bottom, the gravity readings of samples of the mead on your hydrometer will be at zero (or very close too).... basically, you'll get several signs telling you the main fermenting is done. It should be pretty obvious.

EDIT: With bochet I'm told there's more unfermentable sugars.... so the gravity reading might be a bit higher than zero. (Though with mead the final gravity reading can go below zero).

I haven't yet used a hydrometer, I'm reluctant giving how much of the brew I'd have to use to sample it, or once I've taken the sample can I return it to the main brew? I've heard conflicting views on that point. I'll keep an eye out for these other tips though!

Oh I usually do batches about the same size as yours; you only really need to do one sample at the start and one at the end, which won't impact on the brew significantly if you don't return them (you pretty much just need a tube full: not much). And of course I do taste tests afterwards too, so the samples aren't wasted.... I'd imagine a lot of mead makers do it in similarly small batches, given the commercial price of honey.

It doesn't even matter if you do the hydrometer test in the tube it comes with or in the fermenter itself; so long as there'll be enough liquid for the hydrometer to stand in the reading will be the same. (Though you might want to draw off a sample if it's in one of those narrow neck fermenters because I don't like your chances at getting the hydrometer out again.... in one piece, anyway). Basically, it's a very useful piece of equipment.

Airgead said:
I made a mead once with honey from a neglected hive. The beekeeper I bought it from inherited the hive from an old bloke who had died. he hadn't looked after them for a year or so and the honey was, as you say black, acidic and like molasses. I took one taste and grabbed the entire 15 kg he had.

I made a couple of meads out of it and it came out deep amber/gold. Took a few years to get good but boy it was fantastic once it had aged out. Was foul when young but 5 years later...

Cheers
Dave
still have a bottle of this

barls said:
still have a bottle of this
Really? I don't... drank it all a few years ago. That must be pushing 10 years old now. You'd better drink it... I want to know what its like.

its in my front fridge.
definitely will drink it but need the right mood. maybe after the renos are done and i can celebrate something being done right.

Jumped in and brewed a 4L batch! Was surprised how dark it's come out, but it smells pretty good. Had a tiny taste too and it wasn't half bad, once its a bit cooler I'll take a reading with the hydrometer.

14th Century Burnt Honey Mead.jpg

Latest posts

Back