1120-1040 In 2 Days Woops

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sinkas

Reaction score
HI all,
Last weekend I brewed a celebration barleywine , a Hardy's clone

OG was 1120 , I pitched a 3 litre starter of the current WY old ale blend ( said to be the hardy's yeast) into the 15litre brew, it climbed out of the 30 litre fermenter and then stopped after 2 days,
problem now is bloody acetalhedyde, the bane of my brewing.

anyone reccomend a good wine yeast to follow it with, or shuld I repitch a smaller starter of this yeast with big aeration?

I'd say leave it and see what the brett does to it. I thought I remembered reading that brett can use acetaldehyde and this link suggests it does.

Brettanomyces yeast are extremely fastidious. They have been used in traditional English ales as a secondary fermenter to "vinify" them. Adding a specific wine-like character. They are still used in the production of modern beers and specialty Lambic ales because they produce a great deal of acetic acid and scavenge acetaldehyde.

Thanks for the info on the origin of the yeast in that old ale blend. I am fermenting an old ale with it at the moment, but was planning to sic it on a hardy's clone. Now I'm certain that's the right plan. :)

nyone reccomend a good wine yeast to follow it with, or shuld I repitch a smaller starter of this yeast with big aeration?

I was under the impression that most suitable wine yeasts have lower attenuation % than beer yeasts?

Rouse it every day for a week, you never know. I had a barleywine go from 1.090 to 1.020 overnight, on a yeastcake. It was just a standard english ale yeast ( whitbread maybe ). After a week it came down to 1.008, so try it before you add any other yeast. Reminds me i'll have to crack a bottle soon, its an 05 barley wine.

Most yeast will eat acetylaldehyde with time- ignore it. By the time you've aged your bottle you won't taste a trace of it.

Good old high gravity ferments, you might liken it to running head-first in to a brick wall.... full tilt then a big old stop. You might make it further as you stagger around afterwards, then again you might not :)

Latest posts

Back