100 l octaves [oak wine barrels] Brisbane

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not picking up ours untill Thursday. Wasn't told what type of oak although someone else said it was american, whether that's true for all don't know. That was very helpful wasn't it.

seamad said:
Not picking up ours untill Thursday. Wasn't told what type of oak although someone else said it was american, whether that's true for all don't know. That was very helpful wasn't it.
cool.

yeah i read the description of octavious wine which was posted and says its matured in french and american oak. then continues to say its american oak elsewhere. i dont think yalumba helps the situation.

I am collecting Winkle and mine from Seamad this Thursday. I'll measure her up and post some dimensions when I get those big boys home. I'm like a 7yr old kid on Christmas Eve at the moment. :super:

The cellarmaster told me on the phone that these barrels are American Oak with toasting on the heads only.

That sounds good, don't really want them too toasty.

Too late to change whats done. I can however get them toasted more :D

punkin said:
Too late to change whats done. I can however get them toasted more :D
stick a mongolian burner in them and crank it up lol.

Was thinking more along the lines of sending them up to Roll Out the Barrell and having them charred. B)

Was thinking more along the lines of sending them up to Roll Out the Barrell and having them charred.
Yeah I agree, I think this would be better.

Rossco

Just got a report from the neighbour, he filled his two barrels with water after drilling the head and screwing in a plated 1/2" ball valve designed for water tanks.
The barrels leaked, but took up within 1.5 hours.

They are now full of something unmentionable and no drips or leaks.

He is very impressed with the quality of the barrels (he has two Roll Out Your Barrell 50l jobs) for the money and is very happy.

LG
punkin said:
Just got a report from the neighbour, he filled his two barrels with water after drilling the head and screwing in a plated 1/2" ball valve designed for water tanks.
The barrels leaked, but took up within 1.5 hours.

They are now full of something unmentionable and no drips or leaks.

He is very impressed with the quality of the barrels (he has two Roll Out Your Barrell 50l jobs) for the money and is very happy.
awsome. Picked up ours today. Very impressed with the quality . Plated ballvale! Brilliant odea I was wondering how the fk to get a ball valve in there. Cheers

Just drill the hole a little smaller than the thread, that's what my ROTB kegs have and they're fine. Suggest trying it out on a piece of scrap wood first.

These are the valves we got $12 each and lockable...

ballvalve1.jpg

The professional ones just look like this...

barrels4.jpg

punkin said:
Just drill the hole a little smaller than the thread, that's what my ROTB kegs have and they're fine. Suggest trying it out on a piece of scrap wood first.

These are the valves we got $12 each and lockable...

attachicon.gif
ballvalve1.jpg

The professional ones just look like this...

attachicon.gif
barrels4.jpg
They look good, any risk of spoilage above the ball housing?

winkle said:
They look good, any risk of spoilage above the ball housing?

Not with what i'm putting in there.

Maybe different if you are putting a beer in there though.

Got them from my local engineering shop, Bearfast CM.

PLEASE HELP!!!!!

Trying to find a 100 litre Wooden Barrel (Yalumba Octavius 100 litre Barrel)

I want it to make a playing drum (Musical Instrument) not for brewing so if the heads are damaged dont chuck it i will buy it.

I am sure there is one out there with my name on it

THANKS!!!!

Dunno Florian, I'd better clean mine up so we can do the Flanders Red soon (Solera style this time).

Latest posts

Back