100 l octaves [oak wine barrels] Brisbane

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
punkin said:
One of our members on another site has 5 pallets going to Melb. I can message him and see if he has a spare barrel if you like?
maybe he can make it an extra pallet? Id take one. Im sure another melbournian qould also

Edit. Just seen ur next post punkin. No worries.

Edit 2. I might try and organise a buy down here. Although youd think with the yarra valley so close by we'd be able to source one locally.

Can someone pm details of the contact person so I can suss out the possibility of a melbourne delivery

We got into it a bit, there's 5 pallets to melb, three to Brisb and two to Tamworth. Hope there's still some left for you CM. I think the American Oak was the seller for what we want to do with them. :D

Edit; Forgot to say a hearty thank you to Seamad for the heads up.I owe you a beer mate thank you.

Well ill contact the guy on tuesday and see if theres any left. A barrel project is next on the cards for the next collaboration brew day.

Thanks Punkin for enquiring re barrel to Melb.
Citymorgue- Im keen if your looking to bring barrels to melb and need someone to share the pallet
thanks
lach

You are very welcome. I'm sorry i couldn't be of more help.

thanks fellas. i am arranging a melbourne buy. bring on barrel projects!

Any idea what style wine has been in them?
Trying to organize ourself so we can fill it asap to minimize the chance of bugs taking over.
For the first few batches anyway. Then will be infecting it on purpose.

Plans are for a nice spicy French Saison. Regular if white wine and dark if red barrels.

We are thinking a Belgian Imperial Stout in one and a Flanders RED in the other with a small group to keep them clocking over.

goldenchild said:
Any idea what style wine has been in them?
Trying to organize ourself so we can fill it asap to minimize the chance of bugs taking over.
For the first few batches anyway. Then will be infecting it on purpose.

Plans are for a nice spicy French Saison. Regular if white wine and dark if red barrels.
They have had red wine in them since 06. They were taken out of service, even though the cellarmaster said they'd normally be used after that for a fortified wine. They have been "barrel cared" with sulfur etc since and were just done again a few weeks ago.

WinesThe Octavius
spacer.gif

Yalumba The Octavius has established a reputation as one of Australia's icon Shiraz wines, an amazing feat considering the first release was the 1990 vintage. In addition to being sourced from a number of very old vineyards in the Barossa, The Octavius is matured in American and French oak 'octaves' of 100 litre capacity. It is the only red wine in the world that is matured in such small barrels. The secret of the wine not becoming overpowered by the oak lies in the wood which is seasoned at Yalumba's own on-site cooperage for three to five years before the octaves are crafted. Yalumba is one of a select few wineries in the world who boast their own coopers practising the ancient craft of barrel making.

line_538.gif

Barossa Old Vine Shiraz 2006
One of the Barossa's finest old vine Shiraz wines. It is the only red table wine in the world that is aged in oak octaves - 100-litre American oak barrels handcrafted by Yalumba's own coopers. Robust and powerful and rich in texture.
spacer.gif

Do you guys know what the minimum amount of liquid you need to have these swell shut? Obviously less volume increases oxidation etc but if someone wanted a barrwl project but say on 50L in a 100L cask then would it be an issue?

I believe it would be an issue unless you regularly rolled it. If it was beer being stored in their i'd be worried about oxygen too, if it was something more...robust.. then delete the oxygen worry.

also does anyone know if these ended up being french or american oak? Ive email the yalumba contact but he isnt very responsive

Back