10 Gallon mash tun capacity

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drewgong

Reaction score
Gday guys ive recently expanded my brewery to a 50L hlt and a 70L kettle and still have my original 10 gallon cooler mash tun. Im wanting to do double batches 42 litres into fermenters. Anyone else using a 10 gallon cooler what is the maximum amount of grain you can fit in it.
20190903_214729.jpg

If it is 10 US gallons (~38 litres) then about 9 KG of grain. If it is 10 imperial gallons (~45.5 litres), you could get about 10.5kg in.

cheers fellas its us 10 gallon. according to that calculator i can get 10 kg in very tight at a ratio of 3l per kg of grain. Idealy id like to be able to mash 12-13kg which equals 2 litres per kg this sounds too dry/thick to me looks like i need a new mash tun

cheers fellas its us 10 gallon. according to that calculator i can get 10 kg in very tight at a ratio of 3l per kg of grain. Idealy id like to be able to mash 12-13kg which equals 2 litres per kg this sounds too dry/thick to me looks like i need a new mash tun
Yep, new mash tun required. The most I've ever squeezed into my 50 litre mash tun was 12kg. Very thick mash, and constantly paranoid about overflow. I'd say you want 60 litres minimum, probably bigger.

Yep, new mash tun required. The most I've ever squeezed into my 50 litre mash tun was 12kg. Very thick mash, and constantly paranoid about overflow. I'd say you want 60 litres minimum, probably bigger.
I dont do recirculation the biggest insulated cooler type mash tun i can find is 56 litres ill be going for one of those

Latest posts

Back