04 cold fermentation

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kev R

Reaction score
Hi will 04 handle cold fermentation temps. I currently have it at 18 and it's still going strong.
What's the lowest anyone has used and what were the ups and downs uf using it cold

Kev

Turn it down much colder than 17 and it will drop out like a lead balloon. Very touchy with the cold.

I always use this yeast 18-20c no lower a lot of people have problems with the s04 stalling I suspect to low temps are main problem

Only downs in my experience, namely the yeast moving in that direction and not finishing the fermentation. :angry: :lol: I tried warming it up, and it sort of helped, but yeah.

I had a few issues with it stalling, luckily only ever ended up with two bottle bombs as a result, but that was enough for me to piss it off in favour of yeasts that actually do what they're meant to do.

With correct pitching rate, a good hit of O2 and temp control, s-04 will finish out just fine and drop out very clear.

GalBrew said:
With correct pitching rate, a good hit of O2 and temp control, s-04 will finish out just fine and drop out very clear.
Agree, but add the temperature should be steady or preferably rise a degree or two until it's finished. Startingt at 18 you're in a good range for most Englsh styles.

Back