Zywiec Porter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
haha nice coencidence. Their lager is fairly disappointing, if you were thinking of trying it in light of the awesomeness of their porter. There's nothing wrong with it; there's just nothing special about it either - especially not when walking in the shadows of the porter.

Not a porter, but if your dark beer appetite is wetted, you might consider trying the Youngs Double Chocolate Stout or, if still available, the Mad Brewers Stout Noir. Different, but up there.

Why would you compare the lager with the porter (except that being a baltic, it may be made with lager yeast)?

There's very little similarity but they are both well made and tasty beers in their own right. Compare the lager with Brok Sambor or baltika 3, not a 9% dark beer.

I rate both.

I don't rate Young's DC stout at all.

It's definitely a great porter. Don't know about it being a sipper :blink: . It's just too easy to drink and relish at a faster pace.

Martin

tried this in krakow, looking back over some tasting notes and it was a standout at the time. will have to shoot to dans to see if it still impresses after the travel?

I always buy six 500ml of the lager when I'm at Dan's, which brings it down to cheaper than VB. It has that lovely fresh bread sweetness and softness that you don't get in a German Pils and is so hard to achieve at home, even using the likes of Wey floor malted. It's my favourite Euro lager by far. I reckon the people who don't like it much are probably the mob who think it's spelled Larger :rolleyes:

So I popped into Dan's 2 weeks ago, went looking for a couple of chilled lager to put in with my six and bugger me there's the porter for $20 - lurverly drop, can't remember much after the fifth :icon_drunk:

By far the best value for money at Dan's. Under 20 bob for a delicious porter, and as others have mentioned, far too easy to drink for the alcohol %

Yet to try the Lager but will have to get on my bike at some stage and see if i can hunt it down.

As a side note, the first bottle of the porter I picked up, i just picked up a single. Noticed it was 2 months out of date (which wasn't really a problem) and got a free 6-er out of it.

Delicious.

Sponge

The first one I had here didn't impress me much. I had a few while in poland and enjoyed it much more. Might grab a 6er next time I'm at that beerstaling establishment.

Just grabbed a 6er to celebrate passing final prac exam. Damn why is this beer only 20 bucks!? It's so good and am feeling tipsy from one!

Thankfully the great unwashed have not found out about this one. Keep quiet or Dans may put the price up.

I bought 12 the other week and the packaging broke and I smashed 2 onto the kitchen floor I was gutted thought about wringing the mop out into a glass but for the glass shards.

I have no idea what Z porter actually looks like because I chugged it right out of the bottle. If I remember correctly

Which one doesn't after six :huh:

Any ideas for a recipe for this one? I'd love to give it a crack :)

I grabbed "one" today from Dans but if I knew how good it was I would have grabbed a 6 pack.

I wish I was a great beer taster, and one day I hope I will be, but at the moment I can only say that this is a clean but deep beer. The biggest flavour I get is "salty licorice" like my mums Dutch licorice.

I think I may be going back tomorrow for the whole 6 pack!

I love it.

I get a touch of sweetness and chocolate but nearly always grab a six pack when I am in Dan's nothing to do with the 9.5%ABV at all. :mellow: :mellow:

Grab a La Trappe Quad while ya there ... just make sure you drink the Porter first, other way round and the Porter tastes like you'd be better spreading it on toast.

Bought a bottle of Ballast Point Black Marlin Porter to compare the two. The BM is only 6%ABV and a whopping $11.95 for 650ml.

The BM is quite tasty and coffee roasted maltiness comes through but I could not detect a lot of hop presence but that could be because I had IPA before sampling. I don't think it topples the Zyweic for flavour and value for money.

Reading the small print on the Black Marlin bottle suggests mixing with Big Eye IPA sounds nice.

Seeing as I have got some Zyweic Porter may try mixing with some Tower 10 IPA, delicious.

Just having a Z porter now...really enjoying it too.
Lots of liquorice sweetness and nice raisin flavours balanced with roastiness.

The 9.5% alcohol is very sneaky :ph34r:
There may be warnings to drinkers of this on the bottle, I don't read Polish however, and am now drunk.

Thanks for the timely reminder, I'll be driving right past Dans at Coffs Harbour tomorrow on way down to Taree, might just pop in . B)

Back