You're Only As Good As Your Last Pint

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ross

CraftBrewer
Reaction score
Found this interesting link on a UK forum & thought I'd share it here.

One of my very favourite breweries.... Harveys

cheers Ross

A Classic Ross,

The brewer reminds me of my old Chemistry teacher

Pumpy :)

Nice find Ross.

Harveys make some simply stunning beers. Their Porter and Elizabethan Ale are very decadent.

I have a love/hate relationship with their Imperial Stout. It's a very unique beer due to the bretty, oaky, sherry characters. Theres times where I've found it spectactular, others where the sourness has been over-the-top for a stout.

The... umm... Hop Storage Facility was interesting :huh:

Thanks Ross, enjoyed watching that. I'm going to get myself a nice white coat and red tie.

cheers

grant

Fun little segment. Thanks, Ross.

So, they use Crisp and Simpson malts, mash at 152F (66.5C), 75 minute boil, Sussex, Kent, and Surrey hops (Bramling Cross? Fuggles? EKG? Any thoughts anyone?), 7 day fermentation. Maybe I should become an industrial brewing spy like Dreher and Sedlmayr. :icon_cheers:

"I'm going to get myself a nice white coat and red tie"
You don't have these already?? They are more important than pH!
A clip, thanks Ross.

Interesting clip. Just goes to show the difference between home brewing and commercial brewing. Home brewers get their knickers in a knot if their hops are exposed to oxygen for longer than 30 seconds at any stage. In reality, breweries making fantastic beers (dare I say much better than ours! :eek: ) show that a lot of this is just a fallacy! Of course they would also have faster turnover than us or our home brew shops. Another thing you see time and time again in commercial breweries is wort being dropped from a height into the kettle. Could HSA be another one of those fallacies?? ;)

Interesting clip. Just goes to show the difference between home brewing and commercial brewing. Home brewers get their knickers in a knot if their hops are exposed to oxygen for longer than 30 seconds at any stage. In reality, breweries making fantastic beers (dare I say much better than ours! :eek: ) show that a lot of this is just a fallacy! Of course they would also have faster turnover than us or our home brew shops. Another thing you see time and time again in commercial breweries is wort being dropped from a height into the kettle. Could HSA be another one of those fallacies?? ;)

FWIW that hop weighing area might just be the weighing area... with hops stocked from the coolroom. WRT HSA also remember the comment right back at the start that their beer has a 6-week shelf life

haha maybe. I presumed the 6 week shelf life comment was related to the fact its real ale, and once tapped it was only good for a short amount of time. But splashing wort is something I've seen in a wide range of breweries, most of which produce great beers with no evidence of oxidation.

Commerical breweries with this ethos - it gives you faith in humanity!

Back