Your Wife And Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

does your wife/girlfriend/partner complain about you drinking too much and spending too much time wi

• yes, she complains a lot

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • no, it's not even an issue in my house

• I do what I want, ignore the woman!

• Total voters
My wife's fine about my obsession hobby. She does get a touch bored with my talk about beer, but she likes a good, hoppy beer so that helps. I have to make sure I never run out of APAs and I'm making her a cider but that doesn't make life too hard. :p

My g/f is very supportive

She'll even listen to my ramblings about beer and will have the occasional sip of my beer (even though she is allergic to yeast)

She just recently gave me the go ahead for a keg fridge system - which i've set up in her garage - moving in shortly!

I think the best way to go is to do double batches (means less brewing - same amount of beer)

AFD's are also good to stop the perceived alcoholic angle

Entering competitions is also good

Also find a hobby you can share with the Mrs to promote some harmony

Cheers

One vital piece of advice for those who have not discovered it yet:

Stealth is NOT an appropriate tactic in the aquisition of brew gear.

Whatever temporary giggles you may have on 'secretly' aquiring that new kettle or tun will quickly fade when she finds out! Trust me, I wouldn't wish that bad karma on anyone. Have you seen those super cheap auto ads with the dude explaining his swollen garage to his missus? That was me when I started brewing.

I have learned now to strike preemptively with: "honey, I am getting this XXX gear and over the next 5 years it wil save us $XXX, decrease my brewing time by XXX and improve the flavour of that Blonde you like by XXX.

"oh, that sounds great FHG, you are so clever, I love you and your brewing!"

Brewing is good if handled with skill, as are the Ladies. May the two forever co-exist in peace :beer:

One vital piece of advice for those who have not discovered it yet:

Stealth is NOT an appropriate tactic in the aquisition of brew gear.

I disagree! My GF (in fact most women) uses that exact technique every time she buys something new! "Oh, I've had that dress for ages". I feel it's only fair to reply in kind :ph34r:

My girlfriend is almost teetotal, but supports my brewing. I earn 100% of the income in our house, as she's studying full-time (no kids), so I get the final say on brewing gear* :D

*Could be in trouble for that ;)

Just having had our first child brewing has been put on the backburner. I've got a dark ale, Belgian pale and Belgian dark all in fermenters waiting to either be bottled or CC'd. Just can't find the time (or sleep!).

DK

id be putting the new addition in a high chair so he/she can smell the boiling beer and watch and learn from daddy.... :D

I wouldve loved to have brewed today but i have 3 fermenters full and 2 secondary cubes. So i decided to have a few beers and install a surround sound stereo through out my shed complete with the speakers out of my car and put into roof. Then i thought about the spare telly and tv stand and playstation would look good as well. So away i went and done that to and added a few been bags. The shed looks better now but the house is a little empty. Now im cooking up a baked dinner so when the missus gets home she dont hit the roof.

hmmm maybe she'll let me move into the shed :)

I reckon most of you blokes are making this up. The amount of grief my partner/wife/whatever puts me through is enough to want to make a lesser bloke turn to religion. But I press on, that's the main thing, because I know a better beer is just around the corner, you just got to give the current one a tweak or two.
She's just pissed off because she can't drink the stuff.

I wouldn't be surprised at all tintin!
ATM, almost 25% of those polled have gone for the first option & we are the only ones to post in this sector.
There must be a bit of bullshit spreading from the main polling voters, I'm sure. :p

My missus is does not drink any more & gets on her soapbox a lot. :lol:
If she could find a way to blow up the brewery without blowing me up with it, she would be happy. :lol:
Doesn't worry me at all.

:beer:

My wife thinks I am obsessed..... I believe she is correct

cheers

Browndog
Not just my wife, all my mates can't understand why I spend so much time, money and effort just to make a beer that cant be drunk for up to 12 months.

My wife is more than happy with my brewing and actually encourages me to do another brew if I'm in two minds.

She'll even go to the brew shop for me when I need more supplies.

Leading up to Christmas last year she asked me what I wanted. I just said that a grain mill would be handy and didn't think any more of it.

Pfft I thought, as if she would go out and buy me a mill she knew nothing about and wouldn't really know where to get one from anyway.

Well, was I wrong!

She'd done some research and made a few phone calls and sitting under the tree on Christmas morning was my shiney new mill. :beerbang:

Cheers

Scott

Two words: Ginger beer. Luckily for me she really likes alcoholic GB so I make sure that I ALWAYS have a keg of that on hand and I get no complaints. :D

Of course I haven't told her that I up alc to around 6-7% which helps in freeing up her inhibitions so to speak. ;)

I wouldn't be surprised at all tintin!
ATM, almost 25% of those polled have gone for the first option & we are the only ones to post in this sector.
There must be a bit of bullshit spreading from the main polling voters, I'm sure.

My missus is does not drink any more & gets on her soapbox a lot.
If she could find a way to blow up the brewery without blowing me up with it, she would be happy. :lol:
Doesn't worry me at all.

:beer:

I think the amount of time some of you guys have been married,and also brewing would come into the equation as well.

I'ved been married 31 years and brewing for 25,this runs her down a little from time to time ;)

Batz

my girlfriend tolerates my brewing as well as my car. hell she even let me host the last isb meeting

Two words: Ginger beer. Luckily for me she really likes alcoholic GB so I make sure that I ALWAYS have a keg of that on hand and I get no complaints. :D

Of course I haven't told her that I up alc to around 6-7% which helps in freeing up her inhibitions so to speak. ;)

I have a Brigalow apple cider kit here I will put down tonight :D

My wife doesnt really have a problem with it. I brew in the kitchen, so as long as i clean up, do my householed duties, do my daddy duties, paint my daughters room, put shelves up etc, there's no problem hahahaha. She usually likes my beer, but being pregnant, doesnt drink much.

No problems with my brewing habits. I brew in the kitchen and clean up afterwards so I think that helps.

She's very supportive and had no problems with me getting a fridge to do my fermenting in, even tho she doesn't drink beer.

Then again, she likes my cider and ginger beer so I make sure that there is normally some of that available.

She dosen't mind when I brew in the kitchen as I clean it thourghly before I start and again when I finish.
She may get a little dissapointed when I move to the dark side A.G. and move the brewing outside.
Getting very close now.

FROGMAN

1. Cook her a nice home cooked meal and have the beers with dinner
  2. Make her a batch of cider/her favourite drink
  3. Show her how much cash it saves
  4. Remind her that you love her :beerbang:
Those would be my avenues of escape/justification.

Just tell em to piss off! Give em 50 bucks and send them to the shops. That's a win win. You get to drink your favourite brew in peace and they can go and buy some more useless shit! :chug:

My ex wife was a non-drinker and non-supportive of my brewing even though I was pursuing it as a career developing commercial gluten free beer. In my experience beer/brewing may not be the problem, it may just be a convenient battleground. Hope that is not the case in your situation.....

Luckily my girlfriend is very supportive even though she had never tasted a beer before she met me, she likes sweet/dessert wines but is quite partial to a brew that has it's balance tipped towards sweet or fruity flavours. Probably helps that most of my brewing now is 3,500 litre batches during the week rather than 20 litres on the weekend.

Cheers, Andrew (hope it was helpful....)

Just tell em to piss off! Give em 50 bucks and send them to the shops. That's a win win. You get to drink your favourite brew in peace and they can go and buy some more useless shit! :chug:
Grinder, "keep your friends close, and your enemies closer"... make her something she likes to drink and form a bond with you she can't break.

And she should have her own money to spend - promote independence. That way you will be able to do whatever you want to - because you're independant! :D

All the above aside, I believe my wife thinks I am a complete oaf, fool, helpless and forgetful anyway. I'll keep it that way. :p

InCider.

:p the Minister of War calls me a drunk and an alcoholic.
But she bought my first fermentor for xmas.
last month she came home from shopping with a Coopers Stout kit,a Draught,a Lager and a Real Ale.
two days later two more lager kits plus a Stout, Dark Ale, a Bitter and another Draught.
because Big W had a Special GO FIGURE!!
Just pitched the yeasts on my 14th and 15th brews.
i hear a lot more "Yes Dear"s now when i ramble on about a brew.(anyone else get this?)
Now she even helps to pick out what i'll brew next.
Her new hobby is Quilting. So i guess she makes things to make you warm and fuzzy on the outside
and I make things to make you warm and fuzzy on the inside. PERFECT combination I think.

Back