Your favourite aroma hops

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dry hopped my first Taswegian beer with Citra, Mosaic & Cascade.

Tasted reasonable beforehand, but thought it needed something extra.

That pretty well sums it up. I love Nelson Sauvin but it kinda underwhelms as a dry hopper. Give it to me at 10 minutes any day. When the weather gets warm again & I have some leftover pils malt, I reckon I might make a NelsonSMaSH. Oop, OT.

I've got a bit of a love affair with Galaxy going on at the moment, as anyone who's tried my last 10 brew will confirm.
With pale ales or ambers, whatever the bittering hops, I chuck 20 grams of Galaxy in the fermenter and pour the hot wort onto it.
I imagine I'll get sick of it after a while, but for now, I'm sticking with it.

P.S. is there a spell checker on this thing?

colonel said:
Spellchecker needs to be on your end - not on the board software. Have a play with your browser settings.

colonel said:
I've got a bit of a love affair with Galaxy going on at the moment, as anyone who's tried my last 10 brew will confirm.
With pale ales or ambers, whatever the bittering hops, I chuck 20 grams of Galaxy in the fermenter and pour the hot wort onto it.
I imagine I'll get sick of it after a while, but for now, I'm sticking with it.

Would you call this dry hopping? I assume that you mean ~ 20C when you say that you pour the hot wort onto it. On the other hand, if your wort is hotter than that, is it the equivalent of dropping the hops into the cube when no chilling?

I got an Aussie Pale Ale on the go for the ESB comp the other day, milled, doughed in, mashed then went to look for the hop additions. What I thought was a foil of POR turned out to be NZ Cascade. OOps.

So I put in a quick order to Ross and for the brew day I just used 10g of Ger Magnum in the boil for a wee bit of background, cubed the wort and waited for Fastway.

Tonight I'm boiling 30g of POR pellets just for 30 mins to get the Pride Kick in the beer - boiling it with some sugar as there's 300g in the recipe (Sparkling Style) - will chuck in to the FV with the (chilled) wort and cultured yeast shortly.

Interested to see how the POR aroma comes out after a shorter boil. If you open a bottle of Coopers Sparkling you get a really nice aromatic hit, I don't know about POR being "earthy" or "foul", really a nice component of an AusPA.

Birkdale Bob said:
Would you call this dry hopping? I assume that you mean ~ 20C when you say that you pour the hot wort onto it. On the other hand, if your wort is hotter than that, is it the equivalent of dropping the hops into the cube when no chilling?
Yes, I'd say it was the equivalent of hops in the cube when no chilling, as I don't bother cubing, just let the hot wort cool in the fermenter.
I've just developed a theory (right or wrong) that as these hops in the fermenter are not being boiled, they might not lose aroma to the atmosphere, but still get hot enough to release their product into the beer.
I've tried dry hopping when cool, and in the keg, but I find this method works best (for me).
It's probably not a good method if you don't like the slightly extra bitterness though. (I do)

I noticed when picking my POR this season that it has a honey aroma to it.
My favourite aroma hop at the moment is probably Golding wet into the kettle because it is just so unique and nothing compares to its somewhat vanilla flavour.

Styrian goldings!!!!It is the best hop!no discussion!aroma or dry hopping amazing!!!
the second is Triskel!new hop from france very nice!

Hey Fellas,

Have done a kit brew and hopped with Amarillo,- Tea bagged

Now heres the q,

did a grav read last night still at 1015 so will wait a couple more days,

It smells slightly fruity, now is this the hops (first timer)
or am i smelling infection?

Looks ok still a sligh krausen 9 days in fermenter so far, little bit brown looking...

I know you guys are into smelling things so i thought could be an ok place to ask.

Likely the hops. I would presume that if it were already infected, your gravity reading would be considerably lower than 1.015.

The fact that you teabagged it (presuming no boil, as you're extract), would explain the 'slight' aspect.

Infections smell more like vinegar.

As an exercise, look up the descriptors for Amarillo and see if you can pick them up on the nose with your sample. It's going to be a good learning exercise at any rate.

I'm getting ready to do an ESB tonight (depending on the severity of a Man-Cold) and I'm keen to hear if anyone has tried Super Styrians (also known as Aurora). Styrian Goldings is one of my favourite aroma hops and wondering if Super Styrians compares well?

Cheers.

@bribie, since I've started brewing again and drinking craft beer, ive actually been craving por in my beers, kind of miss it. I think it's a noob brewer or a snob thing, but por is to often maligned. Heard good things on here though about using por flowers etc... Now I'm into ag brews, and malt is really becoming part of my aim flavor wise. Thinking a nice aussie ale with por is in order.

Might start a thread asking about good aussie por recipes. I miss it.

Btw, tea bagging your beer is not recommended. Nothing like a nasty pube to put someone off their beer.

If you don't get it, google "tea bagging", safe search off....

Referencing "pubes" is probably a give away for those who do not know already.

It speaks poorly of POR to reference teabagging & a desire for POR in consecutive threads ...
Just sayin...
Experimenting with teabagging your own beers?: Slow night in the Sunshine Coast?

FWIW, one of the Hop Thief Ales heavily used POR flowers. The JS HTA's have always been great beers.

One of these days I am going to have to try fresh POR in a beer, just to see if it is legitimately a ******* horrible hop, or if I've just been abused for so long by mainstream piss.

Latest posts

Back