Your favourite aroma hops

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm new to this & only tried a few so far, but:

Simcoe. Is. Da. Bomb.

Sadly, i don't think this is available to non-commercial growers outside the US. Is this correct, anyone?

Oh, & citra seems pretty good too...

technobabble66 said:
I'm new to this & only tried a few so far, but:

Simcoe. Is. Da. Bomb.

Sadly, i don't think this is available to non-commercial growers outside the US. Is this correct, anyone?

Oh, & citra seems pretty good too...

Here's Simcoe at $17 a lb

You can get 3.5lb in the post for $17 postage

haha - thanks QLDKev!
On to it already - My 1lb arrived last week. Along with another 3lbs. Some serious brewing will soon commence....

Actually, i would've ordered from Yob instead; but i initiated the order about 3 days before he got his website going - unfortunate timing! So instead i got a smaller batch of Simcoe & Citra from him as i couldn't wait the 3 weeks for the package to arrive from the States.

Now my fridge is overflowing with hops!! ... aah, First World problems.

technobabble66 said:
haha - thanks QLDKev!
On to it already - My 1lb arrived last week. Along with another 3lbs. Some serious brewing will soon commence....

Actually, i would've ordered from Yob instead; but i initiated the order about 3 days before he got his website going - unfortunate timing! So instead i got a smaller batch of Simcoe & Citra from him as i couldn't wait the 3 weeks for the package to arrive from the States.

Now my fridge is overflowing with hops!! ... aah, First World problems.
A fridge overflowing with hops is never a problem.....

Lord Raja Goomba I said:
A fridge overflowing with hops is never a problem.....
Unless you have my fridge, 12.7kg of hops. I'd better get brewing some hoppy beers :lol:

1.4kg of it is POR, imagine all the beautiful aroma I could get if I dry hopped it into a batch. :unsure:

QldKev said:
Unless you have my fridge, 12.7kg of hops. I'd better get brewing some hoppy beers :lol:

1.4kg of it is POR, imagine all the beautiful aroma I could get if I dry hopped it into a batch. :unsure:
You could always give city CM2's recipe a go Kev. Will get rid of a fair wack of your POR!

Saaz D Riwaka, Columbus, Citra, Simcoe, Northern brewer, Chinook. My favorites so far.

Mosaic for me! Similar to Bryan I cracked a brew recently that I thought I had gone overboard with the dry hopping. Left it a wekk and it was fantastic. It's one helluva hop.

I am also a Bramling Cross and Northdown fan in English beers.

Does anyone have a dry hopping procedure that they would recommend ?

a. Grams/litre

b.Hop after how many days into fermentation

c.Free style into fermenter or in a tea-ball

d.Hop into the keg, with or without tea-ball

Any advice appreciated.

nala said:
Does anyone have a dry hopping procedure that they would recommend ?

a. Grams/litre

b.Hop after how many days into fermentation

c.Free style into fermenter or in a tea-ball

d.Hop into the keg, with or without tea-ball

Any advice appreciated.
a. 1g/l minimum, if an IPA more
b. Depends on the brew but generally day 4 or when the krausen drops back a bit
c. Free style, when cold conditioning, the hops will drop to the bottom with the rest of the junk
d. Stocking or tea-ball advised unless you have a hop screen for the pickup.

:icon_drool2:

I do 1-2g/L for 48 hours in secondary - the hops wrapped in a 20cm diameter starsanned swiss voile "swag" and tied up with starsanned string.

When I transfer to the keg the swag is left behind. It floats.

One way of doing it.

I do similar except I chuck a couple of starsanned marbles in the bag and it drops to the bottom.

Another way of doing it.

Derailing a bit so first I'd like to endorse Simcoe as a pretty versatile hop. I got a kilo and have been using it a lot lately. Done quite a few single hop beers with it and I'm liking it. Last one was the good doctors "DSGA" (heavily bastardised) using Hallertau in the boil w Simcoe and some late Simcoe at flameout + no chill (don't ask me the times or amounts - the bible is in the shed). I have been warned by one person (very experienced) to beware of onion / garlic smells with Simcoe. Anyone experienced this?

Like nala, I'm interested in dry hopping methods. In particular wether I am wasting my time with an addition when I cold crash prior to bottling. So the routine is usually primary for 11 days and cold crash in a secondary and flip a bag of hops in at that time. NickJD, sounds like you do the same.

Obviously the example I have isn't a single hop beer ... You get the idea though.

I usually dry hop in cold conditioning and find it makes a significant difference.

manticle said:
I usually dry hop in cold conditioning and find it makes a significant difference.
I agree, I quite often do a double dry hop, one as the ferment is nearing completion (~5 points) and then one when it's reached CC temps.. I think they both bring something slightly different to the table and I quite enjoy the combination over a single addition.

I've recently got onto Aurora as an aroma hop, it's magnificent in most UK styles.

I was fermenting an Irish Red and was asked if I was interested in entering a beer in an Ag. show in Northern NSW to fly the flag for AG as not many of us up there - it was agreed that the concept of "Irish Red" might be a bit challenging so I chucked 30g of Aurora ("Super Styrians") pellets in after day 5. It got entered as a Brown Ale and picked up a wee ribbon which will grace my brewery :)

Anything Hallertau! But those German T45 pellets that were around not long ago were drool. Also the NZ Aroma version is excellent even on its own.

Sunshine_Brewer said:
Anything Hallertau!

I did a Hersbrucker / Hallertau addition to a Canadian Blonde kit. I suspect the Canadian Blonde already had a little Hersbrucker and Hallertau is very similar if not the same* (from my reading not observation). We dubbed it the "Hills Hoist" (HH..Duh). It was a nice quaffer for a kit 'n shit effort.

*Herbrucker and Hallertau(er) hops have a tortured history in Germany that has been influenced by fungal epidemics and regional border changes even without adding the NZ hallertauer to the confusion letalone the mid season hallertauer mittlefruh hops which are purported to be different to early or late season hops from (seemingly) the same cultivar. Jesus , little wonder I gave up trying to discern between 'em.

Mt Hood is like both and easier to say.

I very rarely combine hops as i tend to do a very narrow range of beers - APA and similar derivatives, and i'm having heaps of fun at the moment with the only hop additions being added to the cube in one addition to get me to my desired level of IBU's.

My favourite aroma hops wont come as much of a surprise then, as i love Nelson Sauvin, Galaxy, Citra, and Columbus (Tomahawk). If i have those four hops in my freezer then i'm a happy man.

Cascade is a good one, although i don't tend to use much of it. Liked Motueka (B Saaz) for a while but have gone off of it recently.
I really want to get into Centennial and Chinook as a lot of brewers it seems, love them too.

the four varieties mentioned above, imho, are "to die for" hops...

Latest posts

Back