Youngs Double Choc Stout

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I like beer

Reaction score
hi guys and any girls out there ,am a newby to posting here been lurking 4 a while, don't know if anyone's tried a Youngs Double Choc Stout yet but am keen 2 clone; maybe try cascade chocolate mahogany porter kit with 1kg ddme/topshelfe choclate cream extact(for spirits)/500gms choc malt steeped for 20 mins. Any help apreciated :p

If you are after the stout taste, I would be looking at roast barley to steep, and using some chocolate essence at bottling.
All the best
Trent

OK - so you are a kits& bits brewer.

Dont know your location - as you hav enot filled it in - but some of us BBC guys have made a double choc.

Best version is:
Morgans Dockside stout
Bill at Brewmaker (SA) does a big balck stout kit (very similar to Grumpys) that u need to do a 10 min boil.
Add 125gms of Dark Choc buds prior to the boil.
Follow instructions.
Use a good yeast - I use Wyeast 1084 Irish Ale Yeast - and rack to secondary after 10 days Primary.
Add choc essence in secondary and refrigerate for upto 14 days.
Bottle or keg as per normal.

If you are in SA - come up and try mine - currently in primary at the moment.

Mr Beer,

If you want to try using some grain, Trent's suggestion of Roast Barley and Chocolate is heading in the right direction.

The Youngs has a rich creamy chocolate flavour, steeping ~200-400g of pale chocolate malt will produce a similar flavour. Use the grain with a decent stout kit plus a kilo of dried malt extract and it will make for an excellent drop. Or a decent old kit, same amount of malt and 75-100g roast barley (+pale choc). All will be very tasty.

I'm sure I've read they actually use chocolate as per GMK's suggestion. The choc buds sound like a bit of fun anyway.

The irish ale yeast is an excellent choice. If your using dried yeast go for Muntons Gold.

Happy Brewing,

Keith

hi guys and any girls out there ,am a newby to posting here been lurking 4 a while, don't know if anyone's tried a Youngs Double Choc Stout yet but am keen 2 clone; maybe try cascade chocolate mahogany porter kit with 1kg ddme/topshelfe choclate cream extact(for spirits)/500gms choc malt steeped for 20 mins. Any help apreciated :p
I like your thinking about using the spirit extracts. You could probably use some of the whiskey flavours in a scottish ale or stout.

grain will of course give good flavours. I like all of the above suggestions, so just try one and let us know how is turns out

sorry about not getting back earlyer, been busy :( will brew tommorow, will probably go with stout kit +dark malt ,hops &chocbuds in primary &add essence after a taste at racking

Back