You Were Right

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davey

Reaction score
G'day all.
Did a postaround 6 months ago,and was advised to put a stout down. Intended to but am just trying my first.(only been bottled for a month)
Was very sceptical, wasn't even bothered about the dark ale really. Well, to those that posted replies, you were right. It's really nice.
Its the coopers one with no additions.
Whilst i'm here, have had a couple of failures since last post. Coopers draught and pilseners have been really over carbonated. I usually carbonate with 125g of sugar to 22 litres. tasted just like fizzy water so tipped'em.
anyways,thanks for the advice and best wishes.
Davey

not good to hear about your tipped beer.

Keep at it, i'm sure you'll refine the process, and save your beer for your belly, not the lawn.

You can let the gas out if you're careful. I had an overcarbed batch and I just spent a week or so going in and letting a littel gas out of the bottle each night. To do this, I wrapped a towel around the bottle (for safety), and use a bottle opener to lift the cap just enough for gas to come slowly out. It's not science, but it will turn a gusher into a drinkable beer no worries. There may still be a bit of carbonic bite to the flavour, but it's definitely better than tipping it.

The other issue with this is the over carbed beer lifts the yeast off the bottom, and it doesn't settle back down like it would normally. So the beer will be clear, but you have to be even more careful pouring than usual to stop the big chunks.

tasted just like fizzy water so tipped'em.

Ive heard of people either gently releasing pressure from the bottles or re-capping to save the precious before it hits the lawn, its always better to at least 'try' and save them before tossing... about half my #1 brew went down the sink 1 at a time before I learned to drink them regardless.. :icon_vomit: ...In my opinon it provides a valuable lesson not to make that mistake again.. one entire brew I named "My Punnishment" (#3) and I drank them all too... just a thought

+1 for keep at it mate.. keep reading/learning and improving.. never look back.. except to see where you cocked it up so you dont do it again that is..

..and above all enjoy the whole process :beerbang: ...especially the consumption part

(edit) got in there first Zeb

(edit) got in there first Zeb
Forums are a competition and I just beat ya! :)

I like the idea of "my punishment". I have a few bottles of an infected beer I brewed as a newbie sitting in the cupboard. I tell myself that in a year or two they might make a nice sour. There is nothing wrong with delusion...

on this forum "being right":

there is a lot of discussion regarding all topics brewing. This is what I come back for - i read these discussions nearly every day on all topics beer. All topics - I doubt there's a major topic on the subject that is not detailed, discussed, analysed, experimented on and argued over within these forum pages. Within this, you find what amount of information you are happy with and expand your own knowledge with it. I'm never happy with one persons opinion on a subject, and I read AHB to get as many opinions as I can until I am satisfied it has been argued about enough!

Anyway - i'm sure you wont find someone coming back and saying: "you were WRONG...my beer tastes better fermented at 26 degrees", or "this using-grains-to-make-beer business is a load of bollocks, beer doesnt come from grain, it comes from tins!" or "my gladwrap lid trapped 4 kittens on the weekend"

so... read read read until you are no longer skeptical of what you are doing, and go away and brew beer!

Latest posts

Back