You seen this before?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nvs-brews

Reaction score
I do like to experiment and brew some strange stuff, but I haven't seen this before??
I posted this on my local fb page and someone got me a bit paranoid.
I've sampled the fermenter a few bit.
She'll be right yeah?

image_zpsuqvgkxrs.jpg

From what I know, most beer is safe..
This is a blend of beers with cherries and barrel aged..
I added a couple of ltrs from the bottom of a ipa keg the other day and found this a week later

Bloody hell,it looks like a worm infestation,is it just the yeast etc going nuts ? ,that looks seriously weird.
Doesn't look safe to me, amazing.

Maybe it's botulism. Did you no-chill?

Depends what you mean by she'll be right. I've seen images of brett pellicles that look similar. That is definitely characteristic of microbes other than sacch cerevisae at work.
Might be a wonderful thing but get it separated from everything else, keep oxygen away and let it age.
Is it in a hessian bag?

that was a BIAB bag that had cherries in it.
since taking this pic i removed the bag (as i need it for another brew) so cant show you anymore pic's sorry

manticle said:
Depends what you mean by she'll be right. I've seen images of brett pellicles that look similar. That is definitely characteristic of microbes other than sacch cerevisae at work.
Might be a wonderful thing but get it separated from everything else, keep oxygen away and let it age.
Is it in a hessian bag?
i think it would (should) be brett, i personaly dont mind a bit of funk/sour on the taste, especially on the style it is.

On removing the bag, most (95%) of the crust went with the bag... i keep an eye on it

this was taken before i touched anything... BUT as mentioned i did pour in some IPA into the fermenter a few days prior to this picture... that could have moved the bag and moved the pellicle.... i hate ditching beer.. i really want to know if anyones seen anything like it but no one has as yet...

found something finally that looks similar
IMG_2761_zpsty4hkxcu.jpg

ive messaged the bloke but from his post, it seemed to be a nice sour brew!!

mbdlobo_ec023_h.jpg

"You're drinking maggots Michael..."

Sorry, I'll stop now. Hats off to any sour brewers. I don't mind drinking em but I've got enough to worry about without letting something like that into the shed!

id be interested to see my shed beer.. been sitting there 9-12 months..
once my broken hand heals ill try get the lid off..

this is my porter for a case swap.. tasting nice.

funk2.JPG

Latest posts

Back