You Know Your Local Is Awsome

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ducatiboy stu

Reaction score
They have 10 beers on tap at the bar and 4 of them are Coopers..

As soon as you pull up in the car the start pouring your beer

The Coopers rep drinks their and shouts other Coopers drinkers

They let you have a marked brewery glass to take home to add to your collection

They let you put your shopping in the cool room so the ice cream wont melt..

When you watch them sell someone a bumper sticker that you're about to buy then they give you same because, well, you know...

When you can take in a bottle of home brew for the publican and drink for free all night in return.

They have 10 beers on tap at the bar and 4 of them are Coopers..

As soon as you pull up in the car the start pouring your beer

The Coopers rep drinks their and shouts other Coopers drinkers

They let you have a marked brewery glass to take home to add to your collection

They let you put your shopping in the cool room so the ice cream wont melt..

This was in Ireland and by no means unique Sues_Holiday_Photos_085.jpg

When the local bowlo has 8 beers on tap...New, VB, Hahn Light, Old, Super Dry, Carlton, Murrays Nirvana, and Hunter Brewing Bock

When the local bowlo has 8 beers on tap...New, VB, Hahn Light, Old, Super Dry, Carlton, Murrays Nirvana, and Hunter Brewing Bock

I'm impressed that you can remember more than 2 from that list ;)

When the bottlo is selling Scribbly Gum as fast as they can get it for $8.50 ea. This same bottle shop/pub was not interested a couple of years ago when I asked if they would stock some of the James Squire range for me, "never heard of em mate! wouldn't be able to sell em if you don't turn up". Now they stock the whole range plus some other craft beers. Who'd a thought! getting $8.50 a bottle for beer in Gympie.

I tell ya - locals are diggin up their guns and selling em to buy this stuff :lol: :lol:

Screwy

When the people at the bar don't have mullets (or shaved heads and goatees), wear covered shoes, are not called Wozza Mozza or Bozza and can string together five words without four of them being **** or ****, and are there because they actually want to be there and not because they've been banned from the RSL on the Island.

Edit: and where the Queen of the Nile machine has developed a fault which displays four pyramids on every spin for an hour before the gaming staff become aware of it.

and where the Queen of the Nile machine has developed a fault which displays four pyramids on every spin for an hour before the gaming staff become aware of it.

Hahaha... nice!

HOw much did you win bribie? I hope you were doing $5 bets!, thats a dream come true.

This was in Ireland and by no means uniqueView attachment 45905

Bit deceptive really, there are only 2 breweries represented there, Guinness and Heineken, and one cider maker: Bulmers. The beer scene back in Ireland is fairly stagnant for the most part, with the vast majority of pubs only dealing with those two breweries.

Not one to hit the pub much but I do love my local bottle-o.

A new beer comes in, they automatically sit one carton aside out the back until the next time I come in, usually I'll buy a single to try it out and then come back for the rest of the case the next day. This includes items that aren't even on their register system yet, they just make up a price for me that we agree on.

Oh, and the fact that when I told them they wouldn't be getting anymore Unibroue they decided to clear all the lines from the display fridge, boxed the lot and sold it to me at a price of 50% of the case price......

HOw much did you win bribie? I hope you were doing $5 bets!, thats a dream come true.
Hypothetical of course <_<
However I once popped into the Town Hall Hotel in Newtown Sydney for a pint of St Peters Blonde. It's next to the Station, waiting for a train to Redfern (terrace house photo day) and I got in a pint of St Peters Blonde and nursed a pokie for a while, got a maxi jackpot on a machine and was extremely nervous. At that time of day not only is the street outside full of beggars and people walking along talking to themselves ("*******, *******, *******, *******"...) but the guys in the pub are even worse and here's a single guy with a backpack about to walk into the street with the equivalent of a month's dole payment in his pocket. I was reassured by a police raid on the station at the time where they were interviewing everyone on the platform, so I hung with them till the train arrived and I could get back to the relative civilisation of Redfern.

redfern.JPG

No it wasn't the Queen of the Nile machine :rolleyes:

Edit: the win paid for all our petrol money and accommodation for the trip, a couple of nights at Woolgoolga on the way home and a couple of cartons of Pilsner Urquell at the bottle shop for around $40 each - what the hell PU was doing in Woolgoolga..... and picked up a further $140 at the Woolgoolga RSL as well. Good trip :lol:

However I once popped into the Town Hall Hotel in Newtown Sydney for a pint of St Peters Blonde. It's next to the Station, waiting for a train to Redfern (terrace house photo day) and I got in a pint of St Peters Blonde and nursed a pokie for a while, got a maxi jackpot on a machine and was extremely nervous. At that time of day not only is the street outside full of beggars and people walking along talking to themselves ("*******, *******, *******, *******"...) but the guys in the pub are even worse and here's a single guy with a backpack about to walk into the street with the equivalent of a month's dole payment in his pocket. I was reassured by a police raid on the station at the time where they were interviewing everyone on the platform, so I hung with them till the train arrived and I could get back to the relative civilisation of Redfern.

lolwhut! Newtown aint that bad, at any time of day. I've lived around here for over 10 years and never had an issue, if anything it's becoming full of yuppies. There's some colourful characters around, but they're all harmless. It's certainly a lot less worse than Redfern.

lolwhut! Newtown aint that bad, at any time of day. I've lived around here for over 10 years and never had an issue, if anything it's becoming full of yuppies. There's some colourful characters around, but they're all harmless. It's certainly a lot less worse than Redfern.

haha yes them bro's in Refern.
SWMBO's sister was visiting from Beacon Hill and she flew into Bris, took the airport train to Fortitude Valley and I met her there after work. She got begged off and gave the unfortunate person $10. So when I was in King Street last, near the M.L.K mural, a rather faces-of-meth lady approached me and panhandled and I said "Sure, just repaying a favour" and gave her $10 :p

NSW 1 - QLD 1

Hey PH we'll have to have a jar when I'm down, hopefully in July if Allah spares me. :drinks:

Edit: do you live in a terrace house? I'd love to take some interiors.

haha yes them bro's in Refern.
SWMBO's sister was visiting from Beacon Hill
Hey PH we'll have to have a jar when I'm down, hopefully in July if Allah spares me. :drinks:

Rough place that Beacon Hill. Near those inbreds in Cromer Heights :lol: ....

Inshallah!

View attachment 45927

No it wasn't the Queen of the Nile machine :rolleyes:

Edit: the win paid for all our petrol money and accommodation for the trip, a couple of nights at Woolgoolga on the way home and a couple of cartons of Pilsner Urquell at the bottle shop for around $40 each - what the hell PU was doing in Woolgoolga..... and picked up a further $140 at the Woolgoolga RSL as well. Good trip :lol:
:lol: +1

That's the problem you've only been living there for what, about 10 years?

They cleaned it up around about 2000

Edit: do you live in a terrace house? I'd love to take some interiors.

Remember to drop me a line too if you are down.......I'm sure we owe you guys a lunch :p

Latest posts

Back