You Know That Really Old Carboy I Had!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

agorganic

Reaction score
That one I've been cleaning numerous times with all sorts of stuff trying to get rid of the stain around the bottom.

Well I bought some keg and line cleaner recently and had just rinsed out the windex that didn't seem to make one once of difference to the stain. I'd boiled the kettle and decided to pour in some hot water first, as per instructions on keg and line cleaner and I started thinking, isn't it strange that it can handle hot water normally glass breaks when I do this, it will be good cause I'll be able to pour hot water in when I finally get a chance to brew in it......Boommmmm!

I guess it was too hot this time!!! There goes the carpet. So anyone know what a safe water temperature is for carboys, looks like I'll be buying a clean fresh new one after all and won't need to worry about any unknown potentially harmful stains from its former life :(

Don't know about carboys specifically, but most glass is ok if it is heated slowly. It's the thermal shock that causes the issue. Borosilicate glass is better at temperature changes, but I doubt the carboy was made of that anyway.

i don't think it is the temperature that matters as much as the rate of change of temperature - you thermally shocked your carboy

bad luck; glass sucks - this is why i ferment in plastic!

Latest posts

Back