Yet Another Brewing Newbie Q...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tcraig20

Reaction score
Well, my first HB batch seems to be winding down. Its a brewcraft munich lager with brewblend #15.

Been going for 5 days now at 18-20C. Bubbling seems to have stopped out of the airlock (stopped some time last night, was chugging out slowly when I went to bed), but the SG seems a little high.

I didnt get a reading when I started (newbie mistake), but 2 days in it was 1.030. 2 days ago it was 1.021, a couple of hours ago it was 1.020. Am I OK, or do I have a problem?

Well, my first HB batch seems to be winding down. Its a brewcraft munich lager with brewblend #15.

Been going for 5 days now at 18-20C. Bubbling seems to have stopped out of the airlock (stopped some time last night, was chugging out slowly when I went to bed), but the SG seems a little high.

I didnt get a reading when I started (newbie mistake), but 2 days in it was 1.030. 2 days ago it was 1.021, a couple of hours ago it was 1.020. Am I OK, or do I have a problem?

All sounds to be going fine James, I would leave it for another couple of days and take another reading.

When you get the same reading for two days you should be right to bottle.

All sounds to be going fine James, I would leave it for another couple of days and take another reading.

When you get the same reading for two days you should be right to bottle.

Thanks Turto. I just realised that I should test my hydrometer to make sure that it's calibrated properly. Seems to be out by +.004 or +.005. That brings my SG down to 1.016 or 1.015, which is right around what I was expecting. Learnt something there, so its good. Thanks for your help mate.

James

Not so impatient grasshoper, consistent SG reading over a couple of days. I would see 1012 as high for this kit. Better to wait than to risk bottle bombs. As long as the temps kept lowish, no dramas up to a month in the fermentor. Though I know that's hard to do when all you want is to :chug:

Not so impatient grasshoper, consistent SG reading over a couple of days. I would see 1012 as high for this kit. Better to wait than to risk bottle bombs. As long as the temps kept lowish, no dramas up to a month in the fermentor. Though I know that's hard to do when all you want is to :chug:

Just took another reading, still at 1020. The fermenter may have got down to 16C one night (forgot to tuck it in with a hot water bottle before bed). Is this enough to cause any real problems with the kit (ale) yeast?

Seems that my hydrometer is in fact working perfectly, its the bugger who cant read it that's the problem :)

I might be getting ahead of myself, but Im starting to think that the fermentation is stuck. Ive noticed that it does seem to be bubbling still, just very slowly. Given that the hydrometer hasnt budged in a while, its going to take a long time to get ready for bottling.

How can I liven things up a little?

I might be getting ahead of myself, but Im starting to think that the fermentation is stuck. Ive noticed that it does seem to be bubbling still, just very slowly. Given that the hydrometer hasnt budged in a while, its going to take a long time to get ready for bottling.

How can I liven things up a little?

Raise the temperature slightly and give it a bit of a gentle swirl to liven things up. Careful not to splash!

Raise the temperature slightly and give it a bit of a gentle swirl to liven things up. Careful not to splash!

Thanks Inge. Took it up to 20C and gave it a stir. Im seeing bubbles out the airlock again, so it seems to have done the job.

Cheers

Rather than looking for airlock activity, if you have a clear plastic fermenter shine a torch through the side and if there are still little pinhead bubbles rising up through the beer then it's still working away. The beer will also become slightly clearer as it nears final gravity.

I'm not 100% on this but I'm pretty sure splashing isnt a problem at this point, if you keep the lid on a swish around youll only get a little more of that co2 blanket into the mix...infact if you watch the airlock, your more than likely getting a lot of the co2 out :p

Good point Sammus, unless they're lifting the lid to stir the brew.
There was a train of thought that had CO2 saturation as one of the possible causes for a stuck ferment, but I still haven't seen any definitive answer on it all. Sometimes a stir is enough, other times you'll need to rack onto another yeast.

I've had US-05 fermenting at 14degs...very slowly, but it was still working.

Things seem to be moving again. There's the odd bubble from the airlock again now, and the SG has dropped a little. I think it must have got a bit cold one night.

Still going to take a long time at this rate. I wonder if there will be anything left to bottle by the time Im done tasting from the fermenter ;)

Bugger.

It was going great last night, but this morning it's packed it in again. Gave it another swirl, no dice so far. SG around 1018

Well, I got there eventually. Its been bottled for a week or so now. Not too bad I have to admit. Not the world's best beer, but its better than VB.

Had one after about 4 days in the bottle, it was a bit rough. Had one last night at 7 days, and Im amazed how quickly its evened out. Thanks to everyone for their help :D

Batch no. 2 underway now, Im hooked :lol:

Well, I got there eventually. Its been bottled for a week or so now. Not too bad I have to admit. Not the world's best beer, but its better than VB.

James, if it's halfway decent homebrew, you could collect a urine sample after drinking it, that would still be better than VB. :D

Happy Brewing

Screwy

James, if it's halfway decent homebrew, you could collect a urine sample after drinking it, that would still be better than VB. :D

Happy Brewing

Screwy

Ahh... traditional American brewing ;)

Latest posts

Back