Yet Another Brew Stand Design Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mobrien

Stubborn Scientist Brewing
Reaction score
I know, I know - we have seen quite a few of these threads, and yes I used the search function and I've read them all!

Now to my burning question - I've just built my shed, so now I have space for my AG setup. I'm going to do a three tier setup - I know hot water at head height isn't the best thing in some peoples minds, but I think I have the safety covered. My plan is as follows:

Boiler mounted off the ground on the left side of the stand by the distance of a fermenter. Burner underneath (either 4 ring or nasa - to be purchased sometime soon in Brissy). Gas bottle to the right underneath the mash tun, which is mounted with its valve 100mm or so above the top of the boiler. Back to the left, the HLT mounted above the boiler, with the valve 100mm or so above the top of the mash tun.

As far as safety goes, I'll have the whole thing bolted to one of the metal C section support columns of my shed. This baby won't be moving! I will also have a metal mesh (100mm squares) 3/4 gate in front of the HLT, mash tun and boiler - none will be able to move!

I'll also try and build in storage for the fermenters when not in use.

As far as specifics go, hopefully I'll make it out of 50mm square steel tubing, all welded and/or bolted together. Metal plates for each shelf. 6 uprights - two on each side, and two in the middle. Horizontals below each shelf, and bracing as it seems to need it.

The HLT is 60L (electric), and will shortly be thermostat controlled. The Mash tun will be either 27L or 50L (I have two :D) and the boiler is 60L.

I'm also thinking about mounting plates for stirring motors above the HLT and mash tuns - not for now but for future upgrades.

I plan to mock it all up with wood to begin with, and check the system works, before building the metal job. Just brew 20L batches in this testing phase, so load isn't an issue with the temporary stand. I have timber lying around, so it costs nothing for now.

So - to the question - have I missed anything?! What should I be adding in the design phase?

Matt

And of course I have to show off the shed :D A half built photo to show off the space, and an almost finished photo to show how dead sexy it is :D

M

IMG_8299.jpg

IMG_8578.jpg

mobrien said:
And of course I have to show off the shed :D A half built photo to show off the space, and an almost finished photo to show how dead sexy it is :D

M
[post="100616"][/post]​

Love the shed, want a bigger one. Have a mate working on a design for me at present using aluminium square HS, not sure of the size about 16mm I think and using pressure moulded plastic joiners, the only part requiring welding is the burner deck, will be supa-cheap (no affilliation) :D and easy construct. MK III is basically 3 towers of differing heights each 400mm square. Let me know if you want a copy of the rough drawing.

seen a few setups,
don't forget, that main gas valve is pretty handy away from ignition and easily accessable at all times. Don't hide your main gas valve/bottle under a bench.

nice shed B)

That's a kick arse shed... Perfect for building a cool room in for fermentation :p

Wish I had a big backyard to fit such a beast in!

Anyway I've previously been using a very dodgey temporary 3 tier setup, but am now going to the other end of the scale building a proper single tier.

You really should consider getting a pump and going to a 2 tier version. It will save a lot of climbing and mucking around and will allow you to keep an eye on everything better.

ok so how much is a shed like that worth with the slab and all ??
did you build it if so how hard is it ??

mobrien said:
[post="100616"][/post]​

Nice shed, I hope nobody will complain when it's full of beer and the "necessary" equipment ;)

I've been getting jealous reading about all these various AG brewing setups, keen to get started on something myself. I've been offered a couple pumps ex medical equipment and am hoping to be able to come up with something more or less automated. Ah, much research to do and fun to be had!

Noticed you're in Ipswich too -- know many other brewers around here?

Steven

stl said:
I've been getting jealous reading about all these various AG brewing setups, keen to get started on something myself.
[post="100642"][/post]​

Don't stress... I'd done extract for years on and off...

One day I just decided to have a crack at AG and did lotsa reading on the net and cobbled together some plastic buckets and a pot. Bought an electric element for the bucket and a basic temperature controller to use for a HLT. Bought a burner and 10M of copper for a wort chiller. Stacked it all up on some kegs and a table in the garage.

I stuffed up a couple of minor things on my first batch, was worried I'd ruied it, but in the end I reckon it tasted better than any extract brew I'd ever done!!!

Anyway, the point I'm making is don't worry about getting the equipment perfect, just get the main bits and have a go now!

Cheers

Single tier and one pump ROCKS :beerbang: here's some pics of my setup
Bundy Brewery
I like the single tier setups mainly because there neat, all at one height, and I think easier to use if you have a pump.

An I wish I had a shed like yours, it's a beauty :D

Cheers
Andrew

Mobrien, wicked shed mate. That is going to be a pearler and a great place to brew. Congratulations, I can't wait until I can get a space like that.

The only thing I can think of for your design is if your going to go the three tier and you have the room (seems like you do) consider making an access platform so you have a nice area to stand on to access your mash tun. I've said this before, but the worst part about a three tier (at least one that the boil kettle can drain into the fermenter) is the height of the mash tun. Standing on ladders is not a real ergonomic thing to dough in and stir on, plus think of the possibility of consuming a few beers during the brewing session.

If you are going a three tier system I would really consider making a platform to stand on that gives you easy access. It's only you mash tun you need to get to easily, the HLT is fine and so is the kettle. Your platform doesn't have to be permanently set up and stick out into the centre of the shed, it could pack away up against the side of the shed for compactness but I'd really consider making one of these instead of using a ladder. It will make the brew day much more enjoyable in my opinion.

I'm like Andrew, I made a one tier system and it is just so nice to dough in, stir the mash, watch the levels etc on. The favourite part of my brewery set up is the position of the mash tun. I had a three tier and it worked great and there is nothing wrong with them, but I needed to climb on something to reach the mash tun (only really a foot or two but is was enough). I ended up doughing in on the ground and lifting the tun onto the stand. Just worth considering anyway.

Cheers, Justin

Ah, also, I don't really know what you mean by building gates for the vessels but if your doing what I think your doing I probably wouldn't worry about it. Those vessels wont move, trust me. I reckon it would just cause a bit of inconvenience but it's up to you, you know what you want.

Cheers mate.

Great looking shed mobrien :) - how much of it are you going to be able to use for brewing? Are you looking to put a bar in there or just the brewery?

cheers Ross

Thanks for all the feedback guys - a lot to think about there!

It seems a lot of advice tends towards getting a pump - from another perspective this could be a good thing, as it would easily make it so I could have the brewery in a "cupboard" that could be sealed from the rest of the shed which will be used for woodwork and metalwork. The problem at the moment is the move to a new house, the building of the shed etc etc has drained the money - and most of it wasn't our money but the banks funnily enough!

So what is a pump worth? I've got $350 or so in my head....

Rex: long term I plan to have a cold room there was a neat one on ebay recently, but it ended up going for a lot too much but well see :D

Sintax The shed kit was around $8k, the slab $2k (thats just concrete and rio I did it myself) and excavation depends on your site mine was more than normal because of the slope and we needed fill.

Building the shed was easy for me, although it would have been a lot better if I had a helper doing it solo was crazy at some points as I dealt with huge lengths of steel beams and sheeting. I managed though, and I really enjoyed it. You need decent tools screw gun, impact drill, cordless drill, circular saw with metal cutting disc, decent socket, snips set etc etc, but if you are planning on building anything you need that kind of gear anyway. All up I guess it was about 2 weeks equivalent full time work but thats because of doing it 100% by myself if I had a helper, I think it would be more like 2 days or so.

I have to add that my Dad owns his own building company, and I grew up working on construction sites so what I see as easy may not be easy for average joe if you have some building skills and common sense, and a mate to give you a hand, I cant see it being a problem.

Steve (stl): Ag is easy just doo eet! I put a thread together of my first AG here: http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...?showtopic=6361

As far as Ipswich brewing goes I have no idea! I only just moved here, and since we moved I have just been doing the shed/driveway/yard/retaining walls/fences/garden etc! I havent even done a brew!

That said, once Im up and running again you are more than welcome to come and see it in action.

Justin: Thanks for the feedback an access platform would be a must but now Im leaning towards a pump. Hmmm damn all this good advice :D

Ross: The only constraint I have from SWMBO is the car and gardening stuff must fit into the shed other than that it is mine! Its going to be a serious workshop setup for woodworking and metalwork. Benches all around one end, permanently set up power tools etc etc. There will also be a dedicated electrical station on one side, which can be sealed when not in use. The brewery will be set up permanently on one wall, and I hope to be able to make that sealed when not in use also.

Because we have an old Queenslander, there is a heap of space under the house and its nice and cool down there. My timber slabs will be stacked around the edges to dry, and the bar will be set up in the middle of these my idea of a nice environment. Also easy access from the house and not sitting amongst the tools. Eventually we want a cold room under the house also, for brewing and kegs, but most importantly actually for storing produce we want to up our growing output and need to be able to store it.

But thats long term plans. Short term I just need to get brewing again!

Matt

mobrien said:
Thanks for all the feedback guys - a lot to think about there!

So what is a pump worth? I've got $350 or so in my head....

[post="100668"][/post]​

Great looking shed matt.

Pump is less than $200 delivered. Try a search for process pumps on this site

what size shed is that Matt, as mine is in councli at the moment and waiting for specs min going to be a bout 8mtres by 6 metres with an open side attached to me carport under the main roof and i am geting this cheap

Darren,

Yeah - found teh thread - looks good - $200 or so delivered.... might have to save some money and go that route!

Jazman - the shed is 7.5 x 9 x 3.6m. I went all the options - two extra height roller doors, two windows, PA door, remote door opener on one roller door, two wirly bird heat extractors on top, all colourbond. Ended up a good deal for me.

Council had a few requirements for me - I had to have special drainage as per their requirements (which is a really crappy system using a drainage pit), 1.5m clearance from all boundries, 1.5m clearance from all sewage lines etc, and also had to be above the q100 (1 in 100 year) floodline - an issue here! All in all, a few hassels, but found a nice guy in the planning department and we worked through and resolved all issues.

M

M

ok i bigger than mine as i have no pa doors i make latter on,no windows i will make vents latter plus i putting ventalting ridge on the top so my shed will have good air flow but then i willget mine from work but a great size shed you have matt

best addition i've seen in a new shed is a small bathroom/toilet
pull a bike to bits or come home from work grubby, take a dip in the shower before you even go inside and really handy for visitors

mobrien said:
I know, I know - we have seen quite a few of these threads, and yes I used the search function and I've read them all!

Now to my burning question - I've just built my shed, so now I have space for my AG setup. I'm going to do a three tier setup - I know hot water at head height isn't the best thing in some peoples minds, but I think I have the safety covered. My plan is as follows:

Boiler mounted off the ground on the left side of the stand by the distance of a fermenter. Burner underneath (either 4 ring or nasa - to be purchased sometime soon in Brissy). Gas bottle to the right underneath the mash tun, which is mounted with its valve 100mm or so above the top of the boiler. Back to the left, the HLT mounted above the boiler, with the valve 100mm or so above the top of the mash tun.

As far as safety goes, I'll have the whole thing bolted to one of the metal C section support columns of my shed. This baby won't be moving! I will also have a metal mesh (100mm squares) 3/4 gate in front of the HLT, mash tun and boiler - none will be able to move!

I'll also try and build in storage for the fermenters when not in use.

As far as specifics go, hopefully I'll make it out of 50mm square steel tubing, all welded and/or bolted together. Metal plates for each shelf. 6 uprights - two on each side, and two in the middle. Horizontals below each shelf, and bracing as it seems to need it.

The HLT is 60L (electric), and will shortly be thermostat controlled. The Mash tun will be either 27L or 50L (I have two :D) and the boiler is 60L.

I'm also thinking about mounting plates for stirring motors above the HLT and mash tuns - not for now but for future upgrades.

I plan to mock it all up with wood to begin with, and check the system works, before building the metal job. Just brew 20L batches in this testing phase, so load isn't an issue with the temporary stand. I have timber lying around, so it costs nothing for now.

So - to the question - have I missed anything?! What should I be adding in the design phase?

Matt
[post="100614"][/post]​
What about something like this, Matt.You need to think long and hard B4 U purchase your A/G setup. It should last a long time.

DSC02612.JPG

Back