Yet Another Brew Stand Design Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks barneyhanway. It's still not finished yet. It's been a big project.

Now that is fine looking! I gather you have a tap above your HLT - great idea!

M

2 march pumps !! ?

will they be permanently plumbed prof ?

Prof. Pils said:
What about something like this, Matt.You need to think long and hard B4 U purchase your A/G setup. It should last a long time.
[post="101165"][/post]​

Oh, you guys and all your planning and forethought!

It may prove to be stupid of me, but I'm just whacking together whatever I can as I get ahold of the bits. Will see how an electric-powered HLT (go the Belle kettle!) performs as a heat exchanger. Being given two pumps (a March 240VAC 1/25HP 3000RPM and some other smaller, geared 24VDC one) makes it all possible :D

The bigger pump should handle the mash recirculation and the little one will recirculate the HLT water (good way to stir huh) while it's not being pumped into the mash tun. May as well use the HX as a chiller too. That's the plan anyway!

Looks like the copper pipe (for HX and manifolds) will be far and away the most expensive outlay, judging by Bunnings' prices. Anyone got any tips there?

Steve

stl said:
Prof. Pils said:
What about something like this, Matt.You need to think long and hard B4 U purchase your A/G setup. It should last a long time.
[post="101165"][/post]​

Oh, you guys and all your planning and forethought!

It may prove to be stupid of me, but I'm just whacking together whatever I can as I get ahold of the bits. Will see how an electric-powered HLT (go the Belle kettle!) performs as a heat exchanger. Being given two pumps (a March 240VAC 1/25HP 3000RPM and some other smaller, geared 24VDC one) makes it all possible :D

The bigger pump should handle the mash recirculation and the little one will recirculate the HLT water (good way to stir huh) while it's not being pumped into the mash tun. May as well use the HX as a chiller too. That's the plan anyway!

Looks like the copper pipe (for HX and manifolds) will be far and away the most expensive outlay, judging by Bunnings' prices. Anyone got any tips there?

Steve
[post="101267"][/post]​
Steve, I tried to get all the stuff for free from mates and constant searching at the tip but unfortunately no matter how hard I tried I couldn't find all the bits I needed to construct my dream machine.

AndrewQLD said:
Single tier and one pump ROCKS :beerbang: here's some pics of my setup
Bundy Brewery
I like the single tier setups mainly because there neat, all at one height, and I think easier to use if you have a pump.
[post="100659"][/post]​
And I didn't even know photoshop came with an angle grinder tool. ;)

Here's my brewstand:

BrewStand.jpg

Here are some shots of the new brewery taken about 2 weeks back. Still some paving and landscaping to go yet!

Wes
BSB_1opt.jpgBSB_2opt.jpgBSB_3opt.jpgBSB_4opt.jpgBSB_5opt.jpg

Gidday HBW, the normal batch size is 60ltrs but the mash tun will handle around 15kg of grist. The kettle is approx. 120ltrs and believe me you need that extra head space for some of the wheat beers!. There are 2 fermenters of 80 ltrs capacity and ATM all beers are kegged - I hate bottling......

Wes

Dang Wes,

Im gunna have to get some bigger extinguishers for ya warehouse!!!

The pics of the HERMS are coming folks....

Jeez I would'nt have the balls to post my own set up here after seeing this lot.

More power to your collective elbows!

:super:

Well, dont worry Vlad, I have the balls to post pics of your setup and I am bringing my camera to your brewday.

Prof. Pils said:
mobrien said:
I know, I know - we have seen quite a few of these threads, and yes I used the search function and I've read them all!

Now to my burning question - I've just built my shed, so now I have space for my AG setup. I'm going to do a three tier setup - I know hot water at head height isn't the best thing in some peoples minds, but I think I have the safety covered. My plan is as follows:

Boiler mounted off the ground on the left side of the stand by the distance of a fermenter. Burner underneath (either 4 ring or nasa - to be purchased sometime soon in Brissy). Gas bottle to the right underneath the mash tun, which is mounted with its valve 100mm or so above the top of the boiler. Back to the left, the HLT mounted above the boiler, with the valve 100mm or so above the top of the mash tun.

As far as safety goes, I'll have the whole thing bolted to one of the metal C section support columns of my shed. This baby won't be moving! I will also have a metal mesh (100mm squares) 3/4 gate in front of the HLT, mash tun and boiler - none will be able to move!

I'll also try and build in storage for the fermenters when not in use.

As far as specifics go, hopefully I'll make it out of 50mm square steel tubing, all welded and/or bolted together. Metal plates for each shelf. 6 uprights - two on each side, and two in the middle. Horizontals below each shelf, and bracing as it seems to need it.

The HLT is 60L (electric), and will shortly be thermostat controlled. The Mash tun will be either 27L or 50L (I have two :D) and the boiler is 60L.

I'm also thinking about mounting plates for stirring motors above the HLT and mash tuns - not for now but for future upgrades.

I plan to mock it all up with wood to begin with, and check the system works, before building the metal job. Just brew 20L batches in this testing phase, so load isn't an issue with the temporary stand. I have timber lying around, so it costs nothing for now.

So - to the question - have I missed anything?! What should I be adding in the design phase?

Matt
[post="100614"][/post]​
[post="101165"][/post]​
That looks amazing any more pics Prof?

hops&heads said:
That looks amazing any more pics Prof?
[post="101409"][/post]​
Sure hops&heads, I spent all day yesterday scrubbing and polishing so took some more pics. It's still not finished, still haven't received my false bottoms and sight gauge from 3B and I have to get the pots drilled. This is my system from the taps back.

DSC02627.JPG

Back