Yet Another Brew Stand Design Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BF,
Just finished plumbing mine and Ive used a minimum of 5 (inc boiler) ball valves. Could possibly use another 3, but I reckon thats bordering on overkill...
I'll try and get some pics later..

Thanks Linz I'm not sure of where to place those darn taps. I have an idea but I would like to see someone who has got a system working....
:super:

BF,

Here's what Ive done...prolly ripped off from some-one on here !!

endof_hermswpipeweb.jpg

Also have a valve on the water filters too, so 6 in total. The 3 overkillers are another valve on the mash tun, one on the HLT and the third on the end of the tube to the boiler..

Bigfella, I use a total of 7 taps, 1 on each of the vessels and 2 on the inlet side of pump and 2 on the outlet side of the pump. have a look at my photo page just follow the link at the bottom in my signature section.

Cheers
Andrew

Prof, that's a sensational system. Well done. It's got all the goodies. I'm looking forward to seeing some more pics and when it gets fired up. Be sure to post.

Bigfella, if your looking for single tier ideas check out my thread on my brewery. http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...20and%20brewery

It's single tier and uses one march pump. It works very well in the lay out and plumbing design. Worth a look as it might help you out.

Also try looking at it on the brews and views forum, go to the photo gallery and you'll see JD's Single tier brewery near the top. http://hbd.org/cgi-bin/discus/discus.cgi

Cheers, Justin

Andrew (and all those others with March pumps and hundreds of taps! :D )

I'm curious - I'm a big fan of stainless myself, and am about to go and get a couple more stainless ball valves. However, eventually when (he he) I get my march pump, I'm guessing I will want a heap more taps. Do you guys use all stainless, or all brass, or stainless on the tuns, brass on the pump...

Whats the norm? Or rather, what do you do?

M

mobrien said:
Andrew (and all those others with March pumps and hundreds of taps! :D )

I'm curious - I'm a big fan of stainless myself, and am about to go and get a couple more stainless ball valves. However, eventually when (he he) I get my march pump, I'm guessing I will want a heap more taps. Do you guys use all stainless, or all brass, or stainless on the tuns, brass on the pump...

Whats the norm? Or rather, what do you do?

M
[post="101607"][/post]​

No Stainless taps on mine Mobrien just the standard ball valves from the plumbing supply shop. I am after all just a POOR humble home brewer :p

Cheers
Andrew

I use nickel plated brass for all my valves. Mainly because of all the money I'd have tied up in my valves if they were all stainless (there is enough money tied up in my brass valves anyway). As far as fittings, mine are a mix of brass and stainless. If the price difference between brass and SS was minimal I went stainless, where there was a big gap I went brass (eg. hose barbs, mine are brass-the stainless were much dearer plus I fear I might buy polysulfone QD's down the track which would leave me with unused SS barbs).

It's totally up to you and how much money you want to spend on it. Fittings add up really quickly. I'm happy with brass, others aren't so it's personal choice.

The valves I got were just what came along at the right time and at the right price...

You can 'pickle' the brass and no-ones the wiser...but you're a bit richer

Justin said:
Prof, that's a sensational system. Well done. It's got all the goodies. I'm looking forward to seeing some more pics and when it gets fired up. Be sure to post.

Bigfella, if your looking for single tier ideas check out my thread on my brewery. http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...20and%20brewery

It's single tier and uses one march pump. It works very well in the lay out and plumbing design. Worth a look as it might help you out.

Also try looking at it on the brews and views forum, go to the photo gallery and you'll see JD's Single tier brewery near the top. http://hbd.org/cgi-bin/discus/discus.cgi

Cheers, Justin
[post="101604"][/post]​
Thanks Justin, Yours looks like it brews a good beer.Its amazing how we all come up with different solutions to the same problems. I'll post some more pics when its all going.
Cheers Glenn

Linz,

I assume by pickling you mean the Hydrogen Peroxide formula soaking to get rid of any surface lead?

M

Prof Pils....
Looking at the pictures you posted, I see one which shows a s/s vessel with a copper coil it in with water pouring in from the top.
If that is your boiler, and your planned method of transferring your sparge liquor to it, you might want a rethink.

dreamboat

Its the heat exchanger in the HLT. I've copied Morebeers SMART system.
Ran 20lt water thru system today (12min) and tested inline oxy.Worked a treat.
I've got a shower head at the end of line & it just dribbles out . A bit of oxy & you should see the turbulance in the hose and little waves in the fermenter. This is good.Too much pressure & it backs up to the kettle(using old fermenter at moment) and stops the pump.Added bonus is being able to purge the whole system or maybe I should use CO2.
Hmm another tee piece.
Cheers Glenn.

Picture_002.jpg

Prof. Pils said:
[post="101662"][/post]​

Hey Prof,

Bloddy nice system.

Where did you get your oxygen cylinder and regulator? What's the cost, as I was think of doing the same?

mobrien said:
So - to the question - have I missed anything?! What should I be adding in the design phase?

Matt
[post="100614"][/post]​

Matt.

That's a very nice shed. :rolleyes: I'll swap you for my abestos-roofed monster anyday.

Another option for your frame. I used 2nd Hand Dexion for the whopping price of $70. Bolted to your wall it would survive a nuclear war.

As Justin said the wooden stool makes a handy addition when you're mashing in. :beerbang:

I've also got a HLT mixer made from an old wiper motor, 12v battery charger and some aluminium strip. Seems to keep temps in the HLT fairly even.

Hope this helps.

Warren -

DSC00829.jpg

Dude,

Dexion rocks..looks good painted too.fullside4web.jpg

No stools in this brew house...nothing above chest height. B)

Rex said:
Prof. Pils said:
[post="101662"][/post]​

Hey Prof,

Bloddy nice system.

Where did you get your oxygen cylinder and regulator? What's the cost, as I was think of doing the same?
[post="101676"][/post]​
Thanks Rex, The oxy($38) & reg(100) from local BOC. The inline from morebeer (Part# FE390A US$78) plus freight.
Thanks Guys for all the praise but couldn"t have achieved without the invaluable info gleaned (almost raped) from this forum from guys like Doc, Ross,Warren. DMK,Darren & countless others.These Guys are A/G gurus.All I've achieved is a good partial Pils, a reasonable milk stout & a handy skill with power tools.I've just put the right bits together.It's a long & difficult journey to Beer Nirvana.
Just so we can stay on topic- here's my next system.
You can order it from B3.
All U need is a lazy $200K for one with all fruit salad.
AAAAAHHHH dream on. " ADD TO CART"
Cheers Glenn.

pyp_5barrel3.jpg

Pro.Pils, just give us a call when your ready - thats one of ours.

Wes

Back