Yeasts And Hops?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brenjak

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a can of Morgans Golden Saaz.
My recipe is going to be:
The can
1 kg of Dex
500gm of light DM

Advice:
The only thing that concerns me at the moment is i only have the can yeast and 2 x packets of Safale. I live in a pretty remote location and cannot just pop to the shop so to speak. HOw will the Safale go with a Pilsner?

Advice 2:
I currently have 4 x Hallertau tea bags and 4 x Saaz teabags. Any recommendations for use? I have heard that the Moragns Golden Saaz is hoppy anyway but why not use the Hops i have if they will contribute?
I did not want to order some WLP800 but do not think it will survive the mail in the FNQ temps at the moment.

Appreciate all suggestions etc as i am ony a relatively new HB'er

PROST!

Advice 1: Not sure what the kit yeast is like, if it's a true lager strain use that, otherwise keep the safale (which strain by the way?) as low as possible, i.e. 17-18C.

Advice 2:
Do a small boil with the dry ingredients, either 4L and just the DME, or 12L with the dextrose as well (preferrable), and boil 20g of Saaz for 15 minutes.

Sorry.. the safale, is that the s33 or s23?
I'd chuck a saaz bag in myself..although hallertau is quite a nice hop... stick with the saaz.

Hope your not too flooded up there... lots of water around here!

Safale S-04. It says you can ferment as low as 15C. I am guessing that this would be a better temp for a Pilsner than a higher one? Do you just sprinle the yeast on top or give it a stir before sealing?

As for rain...There is a bit not like Townsville. But guess who needs to drive to Brisbane from Cooktown next Thursday?

I find that the yeast works better when rehydrated for around 20 minutes and then added to wort.

As for ordering liquid yeasts, I believe that they can be ordered with mini ice packs which will keep them cool. You may need to get a couple more (ice packs) to make sure they stay cool for the entire journey but they were pretty cheap from memory.

Shameless plug - Check out mashmaster.com.au for information, or email to see what they think. No affiliation, etc, etc

Good luck with the drive! specially with the spinner coming your way....

I just used s04 with a pils, haven't tried the results just yet, still lagering. Tasted quite nice in the hydro tube but.

Thanks for the advice guys.
Tyred, will take you up on the "shameless plug" and try mashmaster. I mean, i have to be able to get it somewhere. Right?

I am on cyclone watch but i think i have enough "supplies" if one comes close. You know the drill. Go to the smallest, windowless room with all your beer...and you wife....might take a torch and some of that other crap the so called "experts" suggest...

One more question in my quest to learn.
Hops into the primary or secondary?

Latest posts

Back