Yeasties

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Norsman

Reaction score
Hey, I'd like to know which dry yeast is typically less fruity or estery. Been planning on an Altbier for a while, and I know that Ross and Batz (thanks for the recipe) like Nottingham. However, additionally to Nottingham, my local micro/LHBS also reccomends S-33 for Alts. I've never used either yeast and like to know what anyone thinks about them for an Alt.

However, additionally to Nottingham, my local micro/LHBS also reccomends S-33 for Alts. I've never used either yeast and like to know what anyone thinks about them for an Alt.

Nope! S-33 doesn't come at all close to an Alt, it's only mildly attenuative and not at all clean in profile. Makes a great dark Mild. I've used it many times for English style ales like a Mild and occassionaly for an Ordinary Bitter, but wouldn't consider it for anything that needs a clean and dry flavour.

Cheers
MAH

I have used Nottingham for Alts but prefer Wyeast 1007 or WLP 036, with 1007 my first choice.

Edit: WLP 029 is very good aswell.

Back