YeastCalc Pitch Rate Calculator now at yeastcalc.co

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good find, carnie. I've been missing that calculator.

Would anyone be interested in an Excel version of this calculator in case it goes MIA again? I already adapted Mr.Malty for my own brew software so this one shouldn't be too hard.

verysupple said:
Good find, carnie. I've been missing that calculator.

Would anyone be interested in an Excel version of this calculator in case it goes MIA again? I already adapted Mr.Malty for my own brew software so this one shouldn't be too hard.
That would be awesome.

Calculate the amound of washed yeast you need to pitch by selecting the concetration of your yeast..

Spellcheck mate..

Also, any plans to add metric?

Viability calculator? Doesn't seem to make a difference to your calcs if the yeast has come from the back of the fridge or right out of primary... Don't mean to poo poo but this sort of thing is reasonably important.

Good work on the washed yeast calc, this was the only thing I was still using MrMalty for.

Here's my Excel adaptation. It uses macros so you will need to enable them when you open the workbook. I've only tested this on MS Office Professional Plus 2010, however it should work fine on 2007 and may work on older versions.

I've tested it against the original online calculator over a range of scenarios and it seems to give results within 1 billion cells.

If anyone has any problems, suggestions or finds bugs etc. please let me know either here or via PM.

NOTE: AHB won't let me upload .xlsm (macro enabled workbook) files so you will have to rename the file and change the extension from .xls to .xlsm.

EDIT: I've fixed a bug with the viability calculation based on the MFG. I've attached the latest version.

View attachment YeastCalc_V4_0_1E.xls

Hey yob, thanks for your correction. The viability calculator is for commercial yeast, if am able to find any formulas for washed yeast viability i will incorporate them
Also i created a beta for the pitching rate calculator, still trying to figure the formulas for the other methods of aeration, you can find it here: http://yeastcalc.co/pitchratecalculator.php
If anyone has any inside on C.White and Jamil's formulas for Yeast Growth Rates i would appreciate the help

yeastcalc said:
If anyone has any inside on C.White and Jamil's formulas for Yeast Growth Rates i would appreciate the help
There's a bit of info in Yeast: The practical guide to beer fermentation (White and Zainasheff) on pages 140 - 142. Figues 5.5 - 5.8 are examples of the data you're looking for. They (presumably WhiteLabs) measured yield factors from various inoculation rates and probably fitted a curve to that discrete data. Without having all their data you probably can't build a very accurate model, though. They seem like nice, helpful guys, though, so maybe if you contacted them they would give you the equations.

Or I can give you the equations I found empirically by plotting growth factor vs inoculation rate from the original YeastCalc outputs. They're only usable for the range of inoculation rates suitable for yeast propagation (25 - 200 million cells / mL) where they have R2 values of > 0.9999. Outside that range they're woeful due to the fact that it's not a nice mathematical function and I had to resort to using 6th order polynomials which go crazy outside the input data range.

Actually I just had another idea. You could decompile the .swf and get the equations that way. I've never done it but a quick google search indicates there are quite a few software tools available to decompile flash.

Hi verysupple, thanks for the info, i managed to find the equations online and finished the calculator, am comparing some test data with Brewers Friend calcultor, so far looks ok

Jeebus VS!!

Love maths much?

Re: viability, can't just be for commercial vials, smack packs as on that other calculator mentioned above, this has a viability calculator for re pitched slurry, mate send JZ an email, **** knows where he gets the time but you'll likely get a reply, I had a fairly long email chat with him re no chill... Or as VS suggests.

Cheers

yeastcalc said:
Hi verysupple, thanks for the info, i managed to find the equations online and finished the calculator, am comparing some test data with Brewers Friend calcultor, so far looks ok
Sweet, nice work. Are you willing/allowed to share those equations? Mine do the job but in the back of my mind I know there's a better solution out there.

Yob said:
Jeebus VS!!

Love maths much?
:lol: Nah, not really. Maths is just one of those things that becomes useful when you try to understand and describe natural phenomena. Incidently, that's my day job (physicist), and it's second nature so I adapted the calculator to procrastinate. :p

Yob said:
:icon_offtopic:

Ahh sweet!! whats the question to the answer then?

all Ive got is 42 to go on :p
You've gotten about as far as me then. I suspect the problem lies in the fact that the answer to a question about the physical universe where nothing is exact is an exact number. :D

Is this working properly yeastcalc? (the user)
I went to use it today and with a 8-9 month old smack pack, it says viability is -76%. I can live with that if it means its 24% viable. The problem is the viable cells are -150 billion. Cannot be. Even after stepping up 1L it is at -4 billion cells.

Latest posts

Back