Yeast Yield

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wombil

Reaction score
Hey Guys,
I have dumped a 20 liter brew on top of the yeast cake of a previous 20 liter brew and fermented out.
I have harvested the yeast off of this and it has been settling for 2 hours after one wash and looks like there is over a liter of yeast in the jug,[picture]. Does this seem right? I am just having a go at harvesting some yeast.
The yeast is us-05 and the brew is nick JD's recipe for $30 ag.I love the stuff.
DSCF2231.JPG

G'day Wombil,

it sure does look that way to me from the picture. I'm relatively new to the yeast recycling thing, but so far have had good results.

I wouldn't have thought that it would be possible to retrieve that much yeast from a 20lt ferment, but it certainly (to me) looks like it.

I'd leave it for a while and see if some other layer starts appearing below the milky white suspension. This will be trub and other stuff...but it does look like you've got a very impressive yeast collection there.

Hey Guys,
I have dumped a 20 liter brew on top of the yeast cake of a previous 20 liter brew and fermented out.
I have harvested the yeast off of this and it has been settling for 2 hours after one wash and looks like there is over a liter of yeast in the jug,[picture]. Does this seem right? I am just having a go at harvesting some yeast.
The yeast is us-05 and the brew is nick JD's recipe for $30 ag.I love the stuff.
View attachment 47197

Looks like mine. I'd leave it to settle out a bit, then tip off any beer from off the top. I think put in some boiled and cooled water to 'loosen' it and stick it in the fridge. Next time you use it, make a 2 litre starter first. I've just done this and it fermented a 23L batch in 5 days :)

Back