Yeast Washing

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thefatdoghead

Reaction score
G'day,

Just washed some 1272 and wanted to know if I just keep the cream (2nd layer from bottom) or do I keep the yeast in suspension as well?
Cheers

DSC_1112.JPG

From my readings, it is the white layer that you are after. This indicates healthy yeast.

I brewed with a Wyeast Belgian Witbier (3944), washed the yeast, and got a terrific amount of nice, white yeast from that one.

I recently tried it with a dry pitched US-05, and still got a layer of white yeast, just not nearly as much.

I wouldn't think that it would be too detrimental if a bit of the off coloured yeast got into the starter.

G'day,

Just washed some 1272 and wanted to know if I just keep the cream (2nd layer from bottom) or do I keep the yeast in suspension as well?
Cheers

View attachment 49452

If you have let that settle for too long and you capture this only, you will be selecting the yeast that stays in suspension longer and may find it difficult to get your brews to clear, The thread listed above is a good read and has loads of info in it. I would be giving it a good swirl and re-suspending the yeast again and following the advice in the other link.

also this is a good listen if you have the time to give it a listen to BN - Repitching Yeast (Brewstrong Podcast thingy)

Yob

Latest posts

Back