Yeast Temp Question

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lobsta

Reaction score
ok, just went to check on the fermenter, and there is one mother of a krausen on the beer (WOO), and the temp of the water bath is 12, the temp of the stick on thermometer is 12, so i guess inside will be rather close to 14. i used the american ale yeast (which is supposed to be like 1056 or something) from the nice, non-price-fixing people at craftbrewer, so is this temp gonna be detrimental to the yeast? or will it just slow down the process a tad?

never thought i would be able to get a fermenter down to 12 in a bucket of water... fridgemate, shidgemate! lol. dammit, now i have these crazy ideas of doing a lager...

Lobby

12 degrees is more a lager temp....

Ale temps should be 18 -20

*edit SPULLING

The krausen should be a good indication that the yeast has started well, and hopefully has out-competed any potential infections. I would agree that 12 degrees is a little low for an ale yeast, but it will most likely complete fermentation (although taking a little longer). Make sure you check your attenuation (Original gravity vs final gravity) and I would personally leave it to secondary ferment for at least couple of weeks. Racking to a secondary fermenter and leaving for 3 to 4 weeks would be my PERSONAL preference.

I live in Armidale, a cool climate, and fermentation of my ales generally sits at about 15-16 degrees Celsius. I have not yet had a problem with this. The lower temps mean you will develop less off-flavours from the yeast, but this is generally a concern when OVER the recommended yeast temps.

I think you should consider raising the temperature (slowly) to around 16. I personally prefer lower temperature fermentation as I find that it results in a 'cleaner' tasting beer. You are coming up to the cooler part of the year (obviously) and therefore getting to lager brewing time. When I lived in paddington, brisbane, the beer under the house would sit at around 12-14 degrees, which isn't too bad for a lager yeast, though even cooler would be better.

Hope some of this helps. N.B. I am basing the above info on PERSONAL preference and experience, other brewers obviously may not agree.

Jerb..

The krausen should be a good indication that the yeast has started well, and hopefully has out-competed any potential infections. I would agree that 12 degrees is a little low for an ale yeast, but it will most likely complete fermentation (although taking a little longer). Make sure you check your attenuation (Original gravity vs final gravity) and I would personally leave it to secondary ferment for at least couple of weeks. Racking to a secondary fermenter and leaving for 3 to 4 weeks would be my PERSONAL preference.

I live in Armidale, a cool climate, and fermentation of my ales generally sits at about 15-16 degrees Celsius. I have not yet had a problem with this. The lower temps mean you will develop less off-flavours from the yeast, but this is generally a concern when OVER the recommended yeast temps.

I think you should consider raising the temperature (slowly) to around 16. I personally prefer lower temperature fermentation as I find that it results in a 'cleaner' tasting beer. You are coming up to the cooler part of the year (obviously) and therefore getting to lager brewing time. When I lived in paddington, brisbane, the beer under the house would sit at around 12-14 degrees, which isn't too bad for a lager yeast, though even cooler would be better.

Hope some of this helps. N.B. I am basing the above info on PERSONAL preference and experience, other brewers obviously may not agree.

Jerb..

yeah, secondary fermenter... right... i have one of those... i guess ill just change the frozen milk bottles a little less often. i always leave my beer in the fermenter until the yeast settles out of solution (so it looks suddenly darker from the top) which usually takes 2 weeks. i think i will have to buy a second fermenter some time soon now that lager season is approaching...

Lobby

i think i will have to buy a second fermenter some time soon now that lager season is approaching...

I'm thinking about getting a third fermenter myself :beer: so that I can brew more during those few precious weeks of winter.

How long should you try to maintain the temperature?
I mean fermentation dies down fairly rapidly after the first few days. Is it all right then to let it warm up or will that impart to much of those nasty flavours that warm brews tend to have?
Can you get away with warmer conditions with a larger starter?

Thought I'd bump this as I'm keen to hear an answer to slacka's question. Is it okay to let the temp creep up after the bulk of the primary fermentation is over?

How long should you try to maintain the temperature?
I mean fermentation dies down fairly rapidly after the first few days. Is it all right then to let it warm up or will that impart to much of those nasty flavours that warm brews tend to have?

Latest posts

Back