Yeast Suggestions Please.....

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You'll need 20% sugar, an OG of 1.049 and an FG of 1.005 to get close to CSA ABV of 5.8%.
You wouldn't want to mash over 65*C either if you want close to 90% attenuation.

tdh

I used the sediment from two tallies and cultivated it in a 1L Schott bottle for 3 days and even so I reckon it was underpitched and it took 15 days to ferment in primary. Turned out fine in the end but I was careful to keep it on 18 degrees so no banana.

If I was writing a guide on Coopers yeasties I'd recommend three, yup three tallies worth if you want to pitch within 3 days.

Agreed BribieG,
My first AussiGal (link in my sig, I am affiliated) went from 1056 down to 1008 with one, yes one stubbie (thats all I had and I did'nt read the guide properly) and a 500ml starter. Well underpitched, plenty of esters and took over two weeks to finish, still a good beer (actually the first one Mrs Gavo keeps asking for), and now the keg is nearly over tasting quite good. I did the same recipe for ABBD and pitched a 1 lt starter in the first fermenter full and it still took two weeks to finish but it had a much cleaner yeast profile. The second fermenter full was pitched with a litre of slurry from the first and it was done in a week and... where the hell are my yeasty esters? A very clean profile.

So, to get a clean yeast profile out of a coopers bottled yeast, a large starter is needed. Otherwise use something like US-05. If you want it to finish low then mash low and replace some grain with an adjunctant like rice, sugar or dextrose . I did'nt say those last two :ph34r: that was the evil Gavo.

Gavo

Back