Yeast Stuck To Lid

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

apu

Reaction score
Hi All

First time poster and brewer (as of yesterday).

I bought a coopers kit. Just brewing the standard lager that came in the pack (with the Coopers Brewing Sugar and Yeast) to learn the ropes and build confidence.

I put the brew together last night.

Quick couple of questions:

1. Whilst I was at work today, the mixture started to ferment but then died down a bit. Unfortunately there is some foam stuck to the top of the lid which appears to contain some yeast bits in it. Question is - should I "rock" the fermenter a bit so the bits of yeast stuck to the top of the lid mix back in, or should I leave it be?

2. All of the airlock water has moved to the second chamber (closest to to the escape outlet). Things haven't moved back (so the chambers have equal amounts of water in them), and I'm a little concerned. I filled the airlock a little above the half way line on both chambers last night. Is this OK?

Thanks all

I'm in melbourne by the way, and things are brewing at about 18-19 degrees.

Ignore the airlock, it is satans handmaiden. ;) (airlock movement is the number 1 source of confusion for new brewers.) seriously, though, what you're describing with the airlock is normal, though.....it means that there is some form of pressure in the airlock, pushing against the water. That is what should be happening.
As for yeast bits on the lid....I have no idea how the hell you managed that. :lol: . Ignore it, it will be fine. Just be patient with the brew, and let it do its own thing. As long as the temperature is kept reasonable, and you don't do anything wierd and funky, you will get beer at the end.

EDIT: welcome to our wonderful obsession.

Yep, sit back and relax if its brewing away - maintain temps!!

But butters may be a bit off course there - Your airlock is the only thing you can count on!! :p

JUST JOKES apu, if you get froth on top, Krausen and/or you SG is moving in the downward direction ALL is good.

Mate, we all panic on the first few brews but just relax and know that if you have signs of fermentation "everything will come up millhouse!"

Read, read read in K&K topics......

Happy Brewin.

Cocko
:icon_cheers:

But butters may be a bit off course there - Your airlock is the only thing you can count on!! :p

My personal stalker already knows how much I hate airlocks :D . He's referencing a prior rant of mine.

Hi All

First time poster and brewer (as of yesterday).

2. All of the airlock water has moved to the second chamber (closest to to the escape outlet). Things haven't moved back (so the chambers have equal amounts of water in them), and I'm a little concerned. I filled the airlock a little above the half way line on both chambers last night. Is this OK?

Thanks all

I'm in melbourne by the way, and things are brewing at about 18-19 degrees.

That is normal for the airlock. Next time don't add the extra liquid. The reason is if the fermentor cools it can suck the extra liquid back into the fermentor and into the beer. Just fill the airlock to the lines and let it do its job.

Thanks guys.

Woke up this morning and its fermenting well. Hopefully things have improved even more so by the time i get home from work tonight!

Cheers

Back