Yeast Strain Swap Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monkeys

Reaction score
I have just recently started looking into yeast harvesting and storage after some time of buying yeasts for every brew. So I thought why not start a yeast swap thread so that we can swap excess samples and expand our yeast banks?

The basic idea is to post up what strains of viable yeast you have in your yeast bank that you would be willing to swap for another strain.

Obviously it is very important that strict sanitization procedures have been followed with yeast harvesting and that the yeast has been stored correctly and is still viable. I think that frozen yeast samples would be preferable for long term storage and transport, although fresh unfrozen yeast samples could also be acceptable. It is up to the individuals involved in each swap to decide.

After swapping individuals can also comment on their success with the obtained strains in terms of viability, and purity etc.

If anyone is interested in participating feel free to post your yeasts!

Let me be the first to say that I am currently brewing a honey wheat beer with a first generation White Labs WLP300 yeast, it smells delicious (banana and clove) and should be done by this weekend! I expect to harvest 3 or more 100ml vials of healthy yeast which I would be happy to swap =)

Good idea.

I may be able to offer some ringwood, west yorkshire and some forbidden fruit. Wouldn't mind some 1388 to try. I'm in sydney.

I have just recently started looking into yeast harvesting and storage after some time of buying yeasts for every brew. So I thought why not start a yeast swap thread so that we can swap excess samples and expand our yeast banks?

The basic idea is to post up what strains of viable yeast you have in your yeast bank that you would be willing to swap for another strain.
While a new thread is not a bad idea to swap or look for individual yeast-strains, we already have the Yeast Slant Register where people have listed their yeast and yeast saving techniques, so I'd suggest that everyone who is saving yeast include their information on that too.

Good idea.

I may be able to offer some ringwood, west yorkshire and some forbidden fruit. Wouldn't mind some 1388 to try. I'm in sydney.

Glad to have you on board black lab! I would personally love to get a vial of the forbidden fruit for a Hoegaarden clone I'm planning to make next! Would you be willing to trade one for a vial of the WLP300?

I have excess Kolsch 2565 yeast and in need of some wyeast 1968 London ESB im on the sunshine coast

I remember seeing that ages ago wolfy, Might get some info on there, though I want to get a bit more experience before exchanging.

Monkeys- The FF is in stubbies at the moment (just got some vials about a week ago). I'm going to wait until I have one stepped up and am happy with the quality before I think about splitting it for someone else, I don't want to infect someone elses beer (I did take as much care as possible, just want to do the right thing.

Obviously it is very important that strict sanitization procedures have been followed with yeast harvesting and that the yeast has been stored correctly and is still viable. I think that frozen yeast samples would be preferable for long term storage and transport, although fresh unfrozen yeast samples could also be acceptable. It is up to the individuals involved in each swap to decide.

After swapping individuals can also comment on their success with the obtained strains in terms of viability, and purity etc.

If anyone is interested in participating feel free to post your yeasts!

Let me be the first to say that I am currently brewing a honey wheat beer with a first generation White Labs WLP300 yeast, it smells delicious (banana and clove) and should be done by this weekend! I expect to harvest 3 or more 100ml vials of healthy yeast which I would be happy to swap =)

Might make it easier if everyone lists "where they live" in your personal profile info.

Good idea Muscovoy.

So if everyone could include their location in their note describing their yeast swap selection too.

Good idea Muscovoy.

So if everyone could include their location in their note describing their yeast swap selection too.

i'd suggest that he might have been referring to you to start with ;)

Doing it in your profile would make it show up on each post like mine does.

Good idea Muscovoy.

No he means in your forum profile (look to the right of this post and you can see it says where I live, which is a requirement for the trading forums here).

No he means in your forum profile (look to the left of this post and you can see it says where I live, which is a requirement for the trading forums here).

Just fixed that for you wolfy

Sponge

Understood, I've added Melbourne as my location =)

So if anyone in Melbourne, or Sydney really (shipping only takes 2 working days), has either a WLP-400 or a WY-3463 strain they can spare for a Hoegaarden clone I'm planning I would be glad to swap it for a vial, or even two, of my WLP 300?

this is my list

Wyeast
PC 2575 Kolsch 2
PC 3822 Dutch castle
PC 3739 Flanders golden ale
1469 West Yorkshire
3864 Canadian Belgian
PC 3538 Lueven Ale
PC 1768 English Bitter
PC 1882Thames valley 2
2565 Kolsch
1187 Ringwood
1968 London ale
2942 Belgian wit
1388 Belgian strong
PC Pacman
1450 Denny's Fav 50
2035 American lager
PC 2272 North American lager
1728 Scottish ale
3463 Forbidden Fruit
PC 3726 Farmhouse Ale
PC 2782 Staro Prauge Lager
1084 Irish Ale
PC 3655 Belgian Schelde Ale

Whitelabs

WLP090 San Diego Super
WLP833 German Bock
WLP051 California V
WLP300 Hefeweizen
WLP037 Yorkshire Square (Platinum)
WLP Mexican lager (Platinum)
WLP530 Abbey ale
WLP 009 Australian Ale (Platinum)
WLP810 San Francisco lager
WLP862 Cry Havoc
WLP023 Burton ale
WLP002 English Ale
WLP039 German Ale/ Kolsch
WLP720 Sweet Mead
WLP566 Saison 2 (Platinum)
WLP006 Bedford British (Platinum)

Brew Labs

BL 2540 East Midlands 1
BL 1004 Sussex 1

i think i have a few more that are not listed so ill update later

@Monkeys:

I'm currently fermenting a beer with 3463.

I didn't split any and it is a big beer, but you are welcome to come around and grab as much slurry as you want in a few weeks. Alternatively I can run some out into a sanitised bottle and you can reculture from that now.

It's in conditioning phase at the moment right before being transferred to cold conditioning.

No need to swap anything as it's not super lab prepared yeast. Yeast was from fresh smack pack, built into 4 L starter a few weeks ago.

I'm always keen for a bit of swapping.

Check the link in my sig.

@Monkeys:

I didn't split any and it is a big beer, but you are welcome to come around and grab as much slurry as you want in a few weeks. Alternatively I can run some out into a sanitised bottle and you can reculture from that now.

It's in conditioning phase at the moment right before being transferred to cold conditioning.

No need to swap anything as it's not super lab prepared yeast. Yeast was from fresh smack pack, built into 4 L starter a few weeks ago.

:icon_offtopic:

Manticle, do you have a 4 litre flask? If so, where did you get it from? I'm keen for one so I can start fermenting double batch lagers.

Apologies for the off topic.

I have (all Wyeast), 1056, 1272, 3068, 2112, 1968, 1007, 1768, 3787, 1469. Some in smack packs and some in vials under distilled water. Various ages up to 12 months so some would need to be built up. I've not got much I want ATM but happy to swap for a beer I guess, or I guess I wouldn't mind giving a Saison a go

@Monkeys:

That's great Manticle! Thanks for the prompt reply =) My current brew should be ready for bottling by this weekend or early next week at the latest, so I would be keen to get the next one on asap after that. I don't have a car, and am in SE suburbs, so coming to pick it up is a bit tricky..

What about if I mail you a box with a return postage sticker (paid for of course) with some sort of cold pad. Would you be willing to run some out into a bottle for me and post it back?

Thanks again, and great to see so much activity in this thread =)

I want a unusual pils yeast, I only have Bier De Garde in vials to swap. Spun in a centrifuge. I am happy to spin up yeast if you pay for the vials and provide the yeast.
Nev

:icon_offtopic:

Manticle, do you have a 4 litre flask? If so, where did you get it from? I'm keen for one so I can start fermenting double batch lagers.

Apologies for the off topic.

Pretty sure you can buy 3 and 5 L erlenmeyers from sponsors but my starter was built in a stainless steel pot (8L). I only have a 2L erlenmeyer. Grain and Grape sell them: http://www.grainandgrape.com.au/advanced_s...4299499259c7db3

Other sponsors probably do too and I know sera (ahb username) was selling various lab equipment, including erlenmeyers. Shouldn't be too hard to find.

Monkeys - can do if you're happy with that. Send me a PM. If you work anywhere near the city, that is another option too.

If you take the earlier option of me running out some beer into a couple of vials (could do that this weekend and fridge), you'll need to step up to pitching amount - presume you are comfortable with that? Otherwise it will be a bit longer but for more slurry in a longneck. Can work out the finer points easy enough.

Back