Yeast stopping fermentation after dry hopping? With lager yeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lovemebeer

Reaction score
Hi all, I have just tried my first lager yeast brew with a kit recipe. I used two sachets of mj 84 bohemian lager yeasts (as suggested from packet) and brewed at 12 c . Airlock started bubbling after about 3 days as expected to be a little slower. I dry hopped on the 6th day and since then have seen no action, it has now been 14 days and my hydrometer readings have been the same over the last 3days @1.016. Of course like most brews I forgot to take an OG reading, but am I correct in saying this is way to high for a lager yeast. Can it be that when I took the lid off my FV and released the co2 when dry hopping, it's a little harder for lager yeast to get cracking again? What should I do to either get it down a few points or check if this batch has finished fermenting?? Cheers

Best to let it rise naturally to around 19 degrees for a couple of days then either bottle / keg or drop it right down to about 4 degrees for a couple of weeks to really clean up after itself.
If I was running a lager fermentation through at 12 degrees I would have given it at least 10 days at that temperature then ramp it up for a few days.

Bribie G said:
Best to let it rise naturally to around 19 degrees for a couple of days then either bottle / keg or drop it right down to about 4 degrees for a couple of weeks to really clean up after itself.
If I was running a lager fermentation through at 12 degrees I would have given it at least 10 days at that temperature then ramp it up for a few days.
Ok good to know, should I expect a change it gravity readings if I gradually do this now or have I left it a little late?

Is it an idea to pitch another batch of yeast if the gravity reading doesn't get lower than 1.016??

Back