Yeast: Stir It In, Or Leave It Floating?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Martin

Reaction score
When I'm making beer from a kit can, should I stir the yeast in, or leave it floating on the surface?

Doesnt make much of a diff, each time I pour more cold water in the fermentor when filling up I stir it to the shithouse, then add yeast while its swirling.... Probably means the fermantation kicks off earlier.

Im interested as to what you guys have to say about this also. I have seen some instruction specifically saying "Do not Stir" though im not sure why.

I re-hydrate my dry yeast in a glass of warm water and then i pour it in from about a foot about the fermenter. I guess that would stir it in a little.... :unsure:

i think consensus would be that sprinkling dried yeast on top is fine, no stirring required
anything else you really want to look at growing the yeast in a starter

When I put it in dry I just threw it on top, seemed to work all right. I now make starters, and I just drop it in from the jar, and it starts all right.

when using dried yeasts, i just re-hydrate them in a cup of warm water (pre-boiled), let it sit for 30 mins or so, then pour it in. addd some yeast nutrient powder if i have it.

I won't stir.

The reason is because during the whirlpool, some will get stuck to the sides and some to the spoon. Not much but I'd rather it all go to the brew.

Been a while since the last time I used dried yeast. But when I did I also rehydrated it. This was mainly to test the yeast well before I started to make the beer. It will rehydrate itself in the wort. I usually did it like mentioned here: http://www.howtobrew.com/section1/chapter1-1.html

If you want to get a hold of some good yeast for free, just buy a bottle of coopers and grow the sedimate left in the bottle. Like mentioned here: http://www.grumpys.com.au/m1.php3?manualid=11

Works well. Different taste to a dried yeast, some say better.

Cheers,
Jarrad

Thanks for the links guys, they make very interesting reading. I'm now convinced that proper yeast rehydration (or using a liquid starter) is a good idea.

After having a dodgy yeast in a kit will definately rehydrate it to test it.

They say rehydrating the yeast gives it a "head start" should any wild yeast find it's way into the brew.

Latest posts

Back