Yeast Starter Without Ldme?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1974Alby

Reaction score
picked up a couple of Cooper Pale Ale longnecks on the way home and was going to re-culture the yeast...but having boiled my water discovered I dont have any LDME...can I use BE2 or would Briess Wheat malt be better?...or do I put the project off and get some LDME tomorrow and try again? :huh:

I'd wait until tomorrow unless you really have to drink the bottles tonight, and then just be careful and leave the dregs in the bottle until tomorrow when you can make a starter with malt.

You don't want to use BE2 because it's only 1/4 DME IIRC, the wheat malt might work but it's a bit of a waste. If I was you, I would just wait until I could get some cheap DME.

I WILL be drinking the bottles tonight...will recap 'em and use tomorrow...thanks for the quick response team!!! :icon_cheers:

Run down to your local woolies and get a can of home brand goo or just use some BE2 to to get you over the line until tomorrow.

Pour your beer, take the cool boiled water and put a tiny bit in the bottle with the yeast, swirl it round and pour it into a sanitized bottle with some more cool boiled water. Store it for a couple of days till' you get your hands on some ldme.

Actually, I'd be inclined to slightly chill the water as well, seeing as though the yeast will still be a bit cold, you don't want to cause a temp shock

Run down to your local woolies and get a can of home brand goo or just use some BE2 to to get you over the line until tomorrow.

OT but I was at kmart the other day staring longingly at the spot where I used to get my $10 coopers ginger beer kits from & noticed that the homebrew gear has made a reappearance. I meant to start a thread here when I saw it but forgot. Has anyone else seen homebrew stuff making a return to kmart?

OT but I was at kmart the other day staring longingly at the spot where I used to get my $10 coopers ginger beer kits from & noticed that the homebrew gear has made a reappearance. I meant to start a thread here when I saw it but forgot. Has anyone else seen homebrew stuff making a return to kmart?

Never left ours but I did miss out on a bench capper which was marked down serves me right for thinking about it.

To the OP just use some wheat M.E. not like you need more than a few tablespoons to get a Coopers yeast going. You can step up later.

Latest posts

Back