Yeast Starter FG

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ducatiboy stu said:
No, not re pitching slurry, but drawing off yeast when it is at its most active in the ferment
This is a technique I've never heard of Stu. Are you able to elaborate?

If you draw a couple of litres out you are not going to have a huge amount of yeast, although it should be healthy. Areyou saying you let that ffloc out then add it to a starter?

It is just another method of harvesting yeast.

Gt from Grumpy's originally put me on to this method

Ideally it is a method for pitching straight after drawing it out, but you can store it in the fridge until you want to pitch it.

You are drawing it out at its most active, rather than waitng for it to die down

You ideally want to be drawing it out at around the halfway point of your SG & FG... so about the 1020 mark

You need to draw out the same amount you pitched, so if you draw out 2 ltrs, pour the whole lot into the next ferment, then draw out the same amount, repeat

The good thing about it is if you do store it in the fridge, then when it comes to pitching, leave it to warm up for a few hours to the same temp as the wort and you start getting a krausen again and pitch it straight in

A very economical way for yeast harvesting if you are brewing similar styles

Ducatiboy stu said:
It is just another method of harvesting yeast.

Gt from Grumpy's originally put me on to this method

Ideally it is a method for pitching straight after drawing it out, but you can store it in the fridge until you want to pitch it.

You are drawing it out at its most active, rather than waitng for it to die down

You ideally want to be drawing it out at around the halfway point of your SG & FG... so about the 1020 mark

You need to draw out the same amount you pitched, so if you draw out 2 ltrs, pour the whole lot into the next ferment, then draw out the same amount, repeat

The good thing about it is if you do store it in the fridge, then when it comes to pitching, leave it to warm up for a few hours to the same temp as the wort and you start getting a krausen again and pitch it straight in

A very economical way for yeast harvesting if you are brewing similar styles
Hmm ok, seems to me as though you'd be massively under pitching.

No, not necessarily, remember that the yeast is at its most active when you draw it off and there is a lot of yeast in suspension

This is the method that Grumpy's used in there micro , just scaled down, so if it didnt work, they would certainly know about it

I used it as my preferred method of yeast harvesting. It works very, very well

Active yeast is the bomb.
I don't use stu's exact method but all my starters are pitched whole when active.
Also a fan of top cropping.

I have used part of stu's method but usually drawn off into a starter, then pitched when that is active.

Either way I think you're getting good numbers of active, healthy yeast, beer and gravity dependent of course.

Its just one way of getting a decent starter without having to grow it, so less chance of infections getting in

Of course you need to be anal about how clean the tap is ( is use a piece of tube connected to the tap and tapped to the side of the ferm and fill it with star-san or bleach )

manticle said:
Active yeast is the bomb.
Indeed. :) .Thats why I harvest active yeast.

Takes all the fun out of making starters all the time. :lol:

People check starter FGs? Perhaps I'm more relaxed than most, but It's done when there is clearly no activity left after 3 days :) And even then, if it's not fermented out completely, It is just a starter, after all :)

Back