Yeast stalled - Coopers Kit and Kilo

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trustyrusty

Reaction score
My yeast has not yet bubbling and by this time, next morning after.

I have tasted, does not taste off.
I can only think the yeast was not transported well ie on truck in sun?
Or I was thinking my sanitizer is maybe old and maybe not right inside. I’m not a fan of adding another yeast because I have never had success with opening container. Oxygen gets in and that never helps. Temperature is being controlled at 20 degrees.

Not sure what to do… just wait, been close to 24 hr.

Thanks, the bubbler is doing absolutely nothing. What if I give fermenter and good shake? Would that be the same? Normally when I put the water in I use a hose and there are a lot bubbles aka agitation. This time I let the water run down the side and very little agitation. I wonder if that has made a difference?

It’s bubbling now. I’m convinced it’s the agitation/ oxygen in wort as above comment .. ?

When I first started I was always told to sprinkle on the yeast and not stir but realistically you are best to stir the hell out of it and get as much air into he mix as possible. It'll start off much quicker.
Some yeasts start off slower than others too. Can also depend if the yeast got shocked with too high or too low of a temp.

More likely it's just fermentation lag. Yeast does not start working straight away. I can be 24hrs before you see any activity. Stirring is unlikely to have started anything. Coopers kit yeasts never show a lot of activity IME. But never use an airlock as a measure of anything happening. I've never used them. I only trust a hydrometer, but that won't tell you much at 24hrs.

When I first started I was always told to sprinkle on the yeast and not stir but realistically you are best to stir the hell out of it and get as much air into he mix as possible. It'll start off much quicker.
Some yeasts start off slower than others too. Can also depend if the yeast got shocked with too high or too low of a temp.
yes I thought the same, I am thinking next time before I put in yeast to get a stick blender :) then when off, add in yeast to work while whirlpool going.
The agitation or mix with water hose helps, but you cannot see the sides with water measurement.

yes I thought the same, I am thinking next time before I put in yeast to get a stick blender :) then when off, add in yeast to work while whirlpool going.
The agitation or mix with water hose helps, but you cannot see the sides with water measurement.
The agitation or mix with water hose helps, but you cannot see the sides with water measurement. I have just realised this is the 2nd time it happened to me a while back and added another yeast and stuffed up the brew.

More likely it's just fermentation lag. Yeast does not start working straight away. I can be 24hrs before you see any activity. Stirring is unlikely to have started anything. Coopers kit yeasts never show a lot of activity IME. But never use an airlock as a measure of anything happening. I've never used them. I only trust a hydrometer, but that won't tell you much at 24hrs.
All my Coopers are generally well under way by the 24 hour mark. Mine normally have put out enough gas to empty out a corny keg of sanitiser at 15psi. At the latest it's the next morning. I start my brew off at 23deg in a controlled fridge.

I wouldn't worry if it took 2 days but if there's not much happening by the 3rd I'd be checking things out.

Back