Yeast Splits.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jojai

Reaction score
Sorry to make another yeast ranching / splitting thread, but since every thread has the word "yeast" in it, search function was pretty useless.

Anyway, can you guys look at the below picture, the bottles are 250mL, so I would predict that there is about +/- 50mL of yeast in each (they have cooled boiled water on top). Is this going to be enough to kick off a decent 1-2L starter?

The yeast is wyeast forbidden fruit, from an 'activator' smack pack.
img3493hh5.jpg

Thanks,
Joseph.

off the top of my head, i would say yes. but confirm that on the pitching calculator at www.mrmalty.com

Jojai

That's way more than enough to kick off a starter. My 1l starters would be stated with less than a tenth that amount of yeast. I pitch a pinheads worth of yeast into 10ml then step that up after 24 hours to 50ml then into the 1l so I;m starting the 1l with 50ml of fermenting wort rather than 50ml of pure yeast slurry. If you centrifuged out all the least in the 50ml flask there would probably be less than 1ml in there so your 50 is more than enough. You could just about pitch that straight into 25l and not bother with the starter.

Cheers
Dave

There a ton of yeast there. I would just fire it up with some wort from your brew and within a few hours it would be good to pitch.

Back