Yeast Smells Sour

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Housecat

Reaction score
Hi all,

I just rehydrated the yeast from a Coopers Ginger Beer and it has a slight sour smell. :blink:
Other than this, it smells just like every other Coopers yeast I have rehydrated. With other Coopers Yeasts I have not noticed this smell before.
Do you think it is a good idea to use it or should I try a different packet? I have some US-05 on hand but was gonna use it for another beer.

Cheers HC

Hi all,

I just rehydrated the yeast from a Coopers Ginger Beer and it has a slight sour smell. :blink:
Other than this, it smells just like every other Coopers yeast I have rehydrated. With other Coopers Yeasts I have not noticed this smell before.
Do you think it is a good idea to use it or should I try a different packet? I have some US-05 on hand but was gonna use it for another beer.

Cheers HC

Mate, ditch it and either use the us05 or another packet of coopers yeast that you may or may not have lying about... Back in my kit days I used to have heaps of them lying about... By the sounds of it, it may have gotten an infection.

FWIW I never used to bother rehydrating dry yeast. Just sprinkle it on and you should be good to go!!

Cheers

Tyler

Thanks Tyler,

How long does it take for an infection to take hold? I boiled the water, cooled it in the fridge and then put the yeast in, however long that takes!

I'll put the US-05 in but it throws my plans about a bit as I am trying to only change one thing at a time with this recipe.

HC

I wouldn't ditch it straight away... throw it in something and culture up a bit of a starter and have a taste... sometimes yeasts will throw funky odours when being re-hydrated or cultured into starters, take s-23 for instance; it smells like rotten eggs staight off the bat but ends up fine.

If you do culture a starter and it continues to smell and taste off, then ditch it...

Latest posts

Back