Yeast Smell/taste In Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mxd

Reaction score
Hi All,

A brew (AG JSAA type) has come out with a strong yeast smell/flavour (US05 yeast) (it seems stronger when colder than cellar), the smell reminds me of when I was working in a bakery after bread has rising or is in the midst of a rise)

Will this subside ?

What could have caused this ?

I fermented 2 x 23 ltrs at the same time (I have only tried one of the kegs will try the other tomorrow)

I thought it maybe one or more of the following ?

1) Under pitched (1 dry pack for 23 ltrs)

2) too long on the yeast cake (2 weeks total)

3) Too cold and too slow too start (I thought I pitched at 17 and then got temp to 19 and it hovered around 19 hit 20 when yeasties doing there job may have dropped to 17-18 towards the end)

4) bad yeast (bought it the day I used it)

5) infected/wild yeast.

Any other suggestions ?

thanks
Matt

Just tried the other keg and that one doesn't have the same issue.

So could there have been something left over in the fermenter ( I did have the flavour/smell whilst fermenting, I just kegged it last night)

ok just a little more of an update,

I did 46 ltrs into 2 fermenters, so I could goto 2 x 19 ltr kegs and 1 x 9 ltr keg, the one keg that has the flavour/smell is the 9 ltr, which, at this point of time, is over carbonated.

So now.

was my keg not clean ?(new, used once before, I will clean with PBW if smell persists)
or is the over carb adding a smell (the improvement with warming I mentioned previously may have been due to releasing co2 ) ?

cheers
Matt

ok just a little more of an update,

I did 46 ltrs into 2 fermenters, so I could goto 2 x 19 ltr kegs and 1 x 9 ltr keg, the one keg that has the flavour/smell is the 9 ltr, which, at this point of time, is over carbonated.

So now.

was my keg not clean ?(new, used once before, I will clean with PBW if smell persists)
or is the over carb adding a smell (the improvement with warming I mentioned previously may have been due to releasing co2 ) ?

cheers
Matt

Very quite in here tonight....talk amongst yourselves.......

Do you filter? If not....
Did you fill the suspect keg last?
The reason i ask is if it was the last one you filled and was un-filtered it may have got some yeast trub in it.
In my experience (as minimal as it is :rolleyes: ) us 05 takes a while to clear out, and I also think it smells/tastes a little bready.
I hope this helps and if not I hope, you find the answer to the mystery.
Just remember Drink 1, then if your not sure drink another to see if it has changed, if still not sure try another and so on :drinks: :lol:
Cheers Brad

I find I'm a bit sensitive to yeasty tastes - some people are sensitive to diacetyl. Two things that I put that flavour down to in my beers are not racking to secondary after about 3/4 primary is done and possible overpitching.

I'm unsure in both circumstances whether the taste I'm noticing is actually a result of either but when I do rack and follow my other usual CC process etc, I don't get a hint of yeasty bite.

This is a hard one to help with. The smell could be quite a few things. It could be yeast related, and may naturally dissipate with some time, but since it is related to a certain keg it sounds more infection related. But it may just be more yeast in that one keg?

I have had kegs that smell horrible on first taste and clear in time to very nice beers. Others don't get any better and you get to know what the smells are with experience. So there are some smells I will immediately abandon the beer and others I will give them time, If you are unsure it is always a good approach to give it a little more time and see how things develop.

I suggest taking a sample of the beer and getting some other opinions from some other brewers if you can.

Fear_n_loath

Back