Yeast Ranching Here We Come!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clintmo

Reaction score
So most of my gear arrived today to start ranching some yeast (on slants that is)

IMG_3336.JPG
IMG_3335.JPG

50x Test tubes with caps
2x Innoculation loops (and 1x handle)
10x petri dishes
1x 1000ml Elernmyer Flask
1x Cheap arse Stir Plate
2x Magnetic stir bars (30mm and 40mm)
Some agar and a couple of rare earth magnets.

So this weekend gunna prep up some blank slants for all my future yeasties... btw, does anyone know the best way to culture yeast from dry yeast pack... (onto slants obviously)... make a starter or rehydrate... then onto petri to single out a yeast colony?

<3 clint

Nice setup, straight from the wyeast or WL pack is th way I would go and then pitch or grow the rest of the pack. I'm making up some blanks ts week too, so my population is all young and fit again. Let me know if you want to mix communities..

Clintmo,
Glad to see that the celli tap money went to a good cause mate :beerbang: . Well done... Be very interested how it goes.

btw, does anyone know the best way to culture yeast from dry yeast pack... (onto slants obviously)... make a starter or rehydrate... then onto petri to single out a yeast colony?

Previous discussion on this topic had many folks recommending culturing liquid yeasts only. Reasoning mainly being better quality yeast, coupled with the dry yeasts are usually cheap and hence its almost not worth the effort.

If you were keen to culture dry yeasts, best to make a starter for a beer as per normal, then use some of the starter (at high karausen) prior to chucking into the fermentor.

I sometimes take a sample of turb and keep in the fridge for future batches, but now that I am suing liquid yeasts, I rarely bother.

You can also add your slant yeast register info here.

Hope this is of some help.

2c.

I mostly slant liquid strains but I do have a few dry ones in the yeast bank. Mostly wine strains which are a bit harder to get hold of all year round that the dry beer yeasts. Dunno that I would bother slanting dry beer yeasts. As someone said they are so cheap its hardly worth it.

If you do though, make up a starter and slant from that or plate out some of the yeast cake from a finished batch and slant from a couple or representative colonies on the plate.

Cheers
Dave

clintmo,

Where did you buy all that gear from. Looking at getting into yeast starters myself.
Cheers,
Crusty

Thanks for the heads up on dry yeasts i will try the yeast that i already have and liquids for the future ranch.

most gear was from proscitech - www.proscitech.com.au - the test tubes and flask
ebay i found the plates for quite cheap
stir bars from here - http://www.livingstone.com.au/

Back