Yeast Question - Cascade Bohemian

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MiG5

Reaction score
Hi, been lurking for a while, picking up tips and enjoying the banter. Was going to sign up earlier tonight to concur in the K+K post after someone put together the rousing intelligent discourse on equal rights for kitters.

Anyways, onto topic. After being inspired to put down a brew tonight, I came to the realisation that I hadn't read the packet properly and the yeast I planned using was an S-23, not a 56. (Note to punters out there; less sampling of previous batches during preparation of new batches).

So, on hand I have a K-97, which I could use, but also a Cascade 'Bohemian Yeast' (according to the pack). It came with a Cascade Imperial Ale, so I'm assuming it's an ale yeast but figured, I'd ask here to be sure, given it flew all the way from your fair shores. Is it an Ale yeast? And, if so, is it a decent yeast or one of the normal 'under the lid' yeasts?

I normally steer clear of the things under the lid, hence it was in the fridge as I used another yeast in that brew.

What do you reckon, K-97 or the Cascade? Also have a basic muntons yeast.

Thoughts, answers and recommendations welcome.

Cheers.

I asked a similar questin a few days ago, no replies.

www.cascadehomebrew.com.au says it is a slow fermenting yeast, blah blah blah, no useful information here.....

I used that yeast once when supplied with a Cascade kit...don't you make the same mistake! :ph34r:

PZ.

I too havet used the supplied yeast in cascade kits always go for something better

I too havet used the supplied yeast in cascade kits always go for something better

Ditto!
The under lid yeasts always end up in the pot when boiling my ingredients.
Apparantly there is a yeast nutrient that still remains after the boil.

Cascade yeast is a lager yeast,and should be fermented low temps,
I've always suspected it to be one of the saf varieties but its not confirmed.
The second Q on this page makes it sound like a lager and from the once I use it certainly performed like it.

Sure is a slow brewing yeast, mine has been in 8 days and the readin is only 1022, although it is tasting quite nice :D

I'm pretty sure it's an ale yeast. (Aren't most of those under lid yeasts ale yeasts anyway?)

I've only just started experimenting with non-under-lid yeasts, but have yet to sample any beer made with them so can't really compare. What I can say is that I've used the cascade yeast in a couple of cascade pale ale kits and they've been some of the better kits I've made. They do ferment a bit slower than, say, the coopers kit yeast, and in my opinion, the brews end up tasting a bit less 'home brewy'.

Hope that info is vaguely helpful!

Back