Yeast In Too Hot

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adz2332

Reaction score
Ok had a brain fade, chucked the yeast in with temps of around 36. No suprise 2 days later not 1 sign of it fermenting.
Is it just as simple as putting another packet of yeast in?
Should i stir it then add the new yeast?
Will it make any differance to the brew having two lots in there?

What yeast are you using?
What are you using to measure and control temperature?

Depending on the yeast, I reckon 36 deg probably wouldn't have killed it.

What yeast? Have you taken any gravity readings (or what signs of fermentation are you lacking?)

(I think John Palmer recommends temps around high 30's to 40deg when re-hydrating yeast)

Cheers SJ

Have you taken an SG reading?

As the other posts said,

Check your SG, if it was that hot it may have already fermented out?

Otherwise using a sanatised spoon stir in another packet. If the first packet was killed there will be no side effects; as long as you have not picked up any nasties in the time it has been sitting there.

QldKev

US05 was the yeast.
Its actually in alcho lemonde.
I had just added around 7 ltrs of boiling water and 5 of cold water then 11 of room temp water.
Was going to sit it in ice water to cool it down then add the yeast but added it without thinking.
Has been sitting in ice water for two days now.

havent taken a reading. But there is no condensation at all, no Co2 out of the air lock and no sediment/foam forming etc

So get more yeast and stri it in you think??

Always take a reading. Non -beer type brews don't always krausen up like beer and gravity dropping is the only way to be certain.

I doubt 36 deg would kill 05. Extra yeast won't kill the brew though.

I found better results as far as lag time when I rehydrated dry yeasts.

As long as extra wont hurt it ill just do that i think. then take a reading etc

It is possible the yeast may have survived, however the high temp would have stressed them so they may not ferment efficiently.

I would aerate the brew with a sanitised spoon and chuck another packet of yeast in. You need to get the fermentation started as quickly as possible to reduce the chance of contamination.

A general rule of thumb - the more yeast the better!

While I'm pretty rough with my yeast calculations I don't think this is true. There are effects from overpitching as well as underpitching.

@Adz - if you do add new yeast, make sure you rehydrate first. Adding some yeast nutrient won't hurt either.

I like to use a yeast starter just to insure i have active yeast.A cup of warm water a bit of sugar and energizer an in 20 minutes somethings going on.An old or abused yeast will tell on itself without waiting a day for bubbles.Andy

It is possible the yeast may have survived, however the high temp would have stressed them so they may not ferment efficiently.

I would aerate the brew with a sanitised spoon and chuck another packet of yeast in. You need to get the fermentation started as quickly as possible to reduce the chance of contamination.

I agree about getting the fermenting started ASAP to reduce chance of infection, very good point

but 'more yeast the better' is 100% incorrect. These is heaps of info on here that describes the phases yeast go through and it effects the flavour.

If the yeast was killed/dead, then add more yeast. Without a SG reading we don't really know what has happened.

QldKev

A cup of warm water a bit of sugar

I wouldn't start my yeast with sugar. From what I have read this can make the yeast lazy when it comes to fermenting malt. In this case it's not gonna matter I guess but good practice is always a good idea. Start it with some LDME if you must but I don't really see it as paramount.
Remember to pitch within 20 mins or so when rehydrating. I think dried yeast has some sort of nutrient incorporated into it and it's spent within 30 mins of hydration.

Sometimes I start my yeast with sugar. I own the term "starter™". :rolleyes:

Sometimes I start my yeast with sugar. I own the term "starter". :rolleyes:

Whatever works for you Nick works for you but companies like fermentis don't recommend proofing their product with sugar. I know Palmer used to recommend it (probably still says it in the online HTB version) but more recent edits of the text suggest not to.

You're a man who likes dispelling brewing myths and simplifying the process which is admirable. Maybe try a brew with proofing and a brew withouty to see if you notice a difference.

Sometimes I start my yeast with sugar. I own the term "starter™". :rolleyes:

WTF :eek: So all this time and with all the info I have taken from this site, I have been making my "starters" the wrong way (sometimes). Well out goes my malt. You learn something different every day :lol: But then I do use sugar with my pizza yeast and also used it back in my can opener days :rolleyes:

BYB

Just be careful what you feed it, you may be creating a monster.
I wouldn't feed it bullshit if I were me.

Back