Yeast Id No* Info From Wyeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DKS

Reaction score
Just thought Ide share some correspondance when I asked wyeast what relivance the no* had to a particular yeast strain.
Just a tid bit of info but something that I had been trying to make sense of for a while.
Anyway heres the Question & reply from wyeast when asked the relationship off no*s to yeast strain.

QUESTION:
> I frequent a public homebrew forum and thought many homebrew enthhusiests would like to know.
> What is the relationship, if any, to name of the yeast and its ID number.? or can you explain how these numbers are allocated to a yeast?

Reply...

Basically, and not always, 1000 series are English/American ales, 2000 series are lagers, 3000 series are Belgian and German wheat strains, 4000 are wine, 5000 are Bretts and bacteria. Other than that, for the most part, there is no rhyme or reason to the numbering system.

I hope that helps.

Jess Caudill
Brewer/Microbiologist
Wyeast Laboratories, Inc.
P.O. Box 146
Odell, OR 97044 USA
Phone: 541-354-1335 Fax: 541-354-3449
[email protected]
www.wyeastlab.com

(Courtious response sent.)

Nice to get a reply at least. A little info that may help to recall what was used in a particular brew from some time ago or to give a pointer to an up and comming recipe. Our computer data bases are not always handy. (as I have found at the least appropriate time)

I love the last comment.

For the most part its down to remembering rote style I suppose.

I might try the same questions for WLP's or has anyone a reference on their no* IDs
Daz

So other than the first number, the rest are randomly picked from one of these every time they develop a new strain?

bingo-machine-296x300.jpg

I suspect there is a little bit of 'logic' in some of the numberings...

some of the strain numbers from the original yeast libraries seem to be used for the last 3 digits

So US-56 we get 1056

Weihenstephan #206 Lager is WY2206

Wisenschaftliche Station #308 (Munich) Lager is WY2308

Weihenstephan 68 (S. delbrueckii single strain) WY3068

And then similar yeasts get clumped together

For Example

2000 Budvar Lager Budvar
2001 Urquell Lager Pilsner Urquell lager H-strain
2002 Gambrinus Lager Gambrinus lager H-strain

Are all Czech yeasts

I imagine, if the original strain number is still available, and if there isn't a clumping already, then they use the strain number

White Labs seems to operate originally from a first come first served system, then

0xx is Ale
3xx is weizen
4xx is belgian wit
5xx is belgian ale
6xx is bretts and bacterias
7xx is wine/mead/cider
8xx and 9xx are lager

Back